4l80e question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
yeah i know my way around a transmission, i rebuilt my 4l60e but even with performance parts, i wouldnt want to put alot of power behind it

Reaction score
I build a lot of transmissions especially 4l60's, and I dont think you will have a problem with an ls engine, what kills a 4l60 is not the horsepower or torque but the weight and gear reduction(stress) on the transmission itself. Just curious but what mods did you do to your transmission?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
corvette servos, monster sunshell, i dont remember the brands but i also upgraded the sprag, all the electronics, upgraded clutch packets, and band, i probaby spent close to $500 on all the after market parts but im sure im leaving some out

Reaction score
Do you remember if the clutches were red or were the steel plates black? Is the sprag a 29 element unit with dual cages? What about the input housing? The newer the input housing the more reinforced it is, did you replace all the thrust bearings(the old ones used babbit or steel backed bronze coatings) with roller torringtons? And is the front pump a 13 vane pump or 10 vane style? All of these particular upgrades with a shift kit, upgraded sprag, and a good reaction sun shell shoul hold up to 450hp no problem

Reaction score
If you still would rather have an 80 then I would suggest a 4l85e out of a 2004-2006 chevy truck 2500 4x4. That trans should be what you are probably looking for.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
clutches were red, i believe the sprag was the 29 element, the set i bought came with new plates, i dont remember doing anything with the pump or input houseing, shift kit yes, all new torringtons and thrust washers, all new seals all the way around, and you know those 5 retaining springs in the drum?

Reaction score
clutches were red, i believe the sprag was the 29 element, the set i bought came with new plates, i dont remember doing anything with the pump or input houseing, shift kit yes, all new torringtons and thrust washers, all new seals all the way around, and you know those 5 retaining springs in the drum?

Are you talking about the 5 3-4 clutch dampening springs?

Reaction score
Yes, those are the shift dampening springs, you can leave all of them out or put them all in whichever you prefer, all they do is soften the apply of the 3-4 clutches, on all of my stock and warranty transmissions I put them back in but not in my hot rod transmissions.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
theres no long term problems? ive driven my truck 20,0000 miles since i got it and ive been through 4 transmissions so i was thinking id be happy with just lasting like another 10,000 miles lol, and do you really feel that much of a differnce?