4L60E MOD advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
this whole thread reminds me of a time when I wanted to build a mildly hot 327 for my 3rd gen camaro. I went to the local "expert" and promptly got told how stupid I was for building a 327 instead of a 350. well gentilmen, here is the answer that I gave him. " It is my money, it is My machine, it is my motor, and it is My sweat and labor, plus it is what I want to do. If it backfires in my face? It wont be the first time!!

I have my reasons for going this way, all I was asking for was sugestions on how to help it live a little better. I am not racing down the strip, I am not pulling a gvw of 24k+. This truck gets flogged on a regular basis, an more than ocasional burnout, and pulls a max of 6500 total, including the trailer. yes I want a hell for stout 4L80E, but it just aint in the cards at this time. so if you all would please quit telling me how ignorant you think I am, this truck has been thourouly thought out, believe me. and it will do the job with out ever finacing any of it.

P.S. do you think I could have pulled the LT1 swap If I was really that ignorant??? come on fellas??? get a clue!!!

and if it were a 3/4 ton yes it would have a 6.0 and 4L80E, been there done that!!!

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
this whole thread reminds me of a time when I wanted to build a mildly hot 327 for my 3rd gen camaro. I went to the local "expert" and promptly got told how stupid I was for building a 327 instead of a 350. well gentilmen, here is the answer that I gave him. " It is my money, it is My machine, it is my motor, and it is My sweat and labor, plus it is what I want to do. If it backfires in my face? It wont be the first time!!

So....are you going to mod the trans you just got, build it up with a full HD kit, or are you going to get a built trans? With automatics, HP is what kills them, instead of torque. What's the power band of that engine, is it stock or modified?

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
So....are you going to mod the trans you just got, build it up with a full HD kit, or are you going to get a built trans? With automatics, HP is what kills them, instead of torque. What's the power band of that engine, is it stock or modified?

The LT1 is completely stock except headers and cold air intake. I want to go ahead and open it up, "not my original plan" do the upgrades, rebuild the Valve body " more than one custom builder stresses to do that around 40k" proly do the HP kit as well, not sure how deep into it I will dig. but it will be the trans that I just bought, wasting money?? or being smart?? To start with a never trashed before unit?? I like the idea!! a whole buckin funch!

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
The LT1 is completely stock except headers and cold air intake. I want to go ahead and open it up, "not my original plan" do the upgrades, rebuild the Valve body " more than one custom builder stresses to do that around 40k" proly do the HP kit as well, not sure how deep into it I will dig. but it will be the trans that I just bought, wasting money?? or being smart?? To start with a never trashed before unit?? I like the idea!! a whole buckin funch!

Did you miss the post where I told you specifically the transmission you bought will NOT WORK with a GenI/GenII engine?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
???? I don't get it, am I building your truck?? I am trying to stay civil here ya might want to back up a step.

Buddy, you asked for our opinions and options, even though you are not even listening or taking advice, what are you going to do to me? Lose your temper and get yourself banned?

IF you knew what you wanted to do all along then why even ask for advice and help if you won't take it? Chris just told you he tranny won't even work and even if you have a trashed tranny now, a complete rebuild leaves no trashed parts in it, I reall don't understand your logic and offered my advice and opinions, maybe in a manor that had some attitude behind it and was wrong, but that was my opinion.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Come on guy's it's his truck and if he want's the LT1 or whatever then so be it, I have alway's liked your swap and it's different. On your original question, I can get a tran's built around here for 1K with kevlar clutch's and band's that's really strong and will hold up to the power level's you have. I'm sure you could do it yourself for much cheaper!

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
Come on guy's it's his truck and if he want's the LT1 or whatever then so be it, I have alway's liked your swap and it's different. On your original question, I can get a tran's built around here for 1K with kevlar clutch's and band's that's really strong and will hold up to the power level's you have. I'm sure you could do it yourself for much cheaper!

thanks DRAGGIN95, I do appreciate the kind words. I have asked the admin to delete this thread, as some people cannot get the fact that I am not spending their money. besides, I like my truck just the way that I am building it :evillol::evillol: it isn't "modern" but as stated in an earlier post somewhere " I ain't ready to give up my small blocks yet" and--- I can think for myself "dangit" I just wanted help with the trans, not ridicule or advice of how to build my truck to suit someone else

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All we did was give you advice on the trans, if anything everyone likes you have an LT1 in it, YOu asked for help and now you are mad, why did you even make a thread?