4L60E MOD advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
All we did was give you advice on the trans, if anything everyone likes you have an LT1 in it, YOu asked for help and now you are mad, why did you even make a thread?

Ok Ok I'll concede I did ask for advise, and have gotten some good advice. It just rubs me the wrong way when someone back hands my decisions and plans. we all have our purpose and reasons for the things we do. And I will admit my build is ????? 4 years behind the trend (the last LT1 was put out in 1998???). But as stated long ago, I am a Die Hard Small Block fan, and the LT1 is the ultimate Small Block.

Blue95; Please accept my appology sir!

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Accepted.

But no one knocked your LT1, this thread was about how you could build the best trans for the best buck, LT1 is awesome and obviously makes that truck run like a scalded dog, which is freaking sweet.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
lol....camel humps anyone? Lemme get my flack jacket first :p

Back on topic, like I stated before, at the least, I would go with the steel clutches, bands, things like that. Which in essence replaces all your already worn/thrashed parts, so you're only re-using a "thrashed" case. You can have the case magnafluxed for cracks if you like, I wish I'd done that on one I built a long while back, bellhousing cracked all the way across and left passenger side's farthest 2 bolts holding it to engine.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
lol....camel humps anyone? Lemme get my flack jacket first :p

Back on topic, like I stated before, at the least, I would go with the steel clutches, bands, things like that. Which in essence replaces all your already worn/thrashed parts, so you're only re-using a "thrashed" case. You can have the case magnafluxed for cracks if you like, I wish I'd done that on one I built a long while back, bellhousing cracked all the way across and left passenger side's farthest 2 bolts holding it to engine.

No I will not be using the trashed unit ---- Yet!? I will save it for ?? whatever LOL.

Anyway yes back on topic, I have talked to 3 different trans shops locally and have gotten 3 different aproaches. BUDA!! New cuss word!!!:gr_grin: It has 4 letters??? I am thinking about pulling the front pump, changeing the 3/4 clutch pack to either red or blue plates with kolene steels, 0.50 boost valve, reverse boost valve, pinless accumulators, wider 2/4 band, Corvette servo, spring loaded 3/4 check ball - in the drum, maybe 1st clutch pack as well. OH I forgot, a slight tweek to the pressure modulator valve, insider trick I learned about today. I am not impressed with the beast sunshell but I have never broken one yet.

Have I forgotten anything? yes I know 5 pinion planetarys.... I really dont want to wrap up $2K in it!!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I will not be using the trashed unit ---- Yet!? I will save it for ?? whatever LOL.

Anyway yes back on topic, I have talked to 3 different trans shops locally and have gotten 3 different aproaches. BUDA!! New cuss word!!!:gr_grin: It has 4 letters??? I am thinking about pulling the front pump, changeing the 3/4 clutch pack to either red or blue plates with kolene steels, 0.50 boost valve, reverse boost valve, pinless accumulators, wider 2/4 band, Corvette servo, spring loaded 3/4 check ball - in the drum, maybe 1st clutch pack as well. OH I forgot, a slight tweek to the pressure modulator valve, insider trick I learned about today. I am not impressed with the beast sunshell but I have never broken one yet.

Have I forgotten anything? yes I know 5 pinion planetarys.... I really dont want to wrap up $2K in it!!

The torque converter, duh! :lol:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
2500 stall was stock behind the high performance versions, if ya decide to go that route with engine.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot to ask, which version of the lt1 didja end up getting? There's 3 in case ya didn't know: 1) iron block, iron heads; 2) iron block, aluminum heads; 3) aluminum 4-bolt block, aluminum heads.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... 3) aluminum 4-bolt block, aluminum heads.

Well, it definitely isn't an LT5, so that's out. I would guess it's an aluminum head, iron block unit out of an F body.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
lt5 was the zr1 engine, iirc there was also a standard 4-bolt aluminum block&head they used in the basic vette.

Nevermind, refreshed my memory....all lt1's were iron block, only difference in vette blocks was they were 4-bolt iron with aluminum heads versus the fbody 2bolt iron with aluminum heads.