4l60e angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 ecsb 5.0
4l60e stock crossmember

So I need to change the angle on my 4l60e to help alleviate some stress on my little driveline between the 60e and my divorced NP205

First question what's the best way to do that?
Haven't had time to look at it yet

But I was thinking grinding out the rivets and mounting the x member under the frame and spaced with some 1 inch square tube between the crossmember and the frame.

Would I need to loosen the motor mounts to get it to angle?
Is there an easier way?

My second question is would that be too steep? I'm worried that the tranny fluid wouldn't be happy sitting on an angle like that

Thanks for the responses in advance guys

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about the tranny cross member, it is bolted in. Gm made it easy for you. They used long bolts with spacers, just in the wrong order. Unbolt the four bolts, support the trans, place cross member under the frame with the supplied spacers in between, reinsert the bolts. Motor mounts will accommodate it, just check the fan and shroud.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet I have a electric fan so that shouldn't be an issue

I noticed today it could be unbolted
I also noticed the weird shape of the crossmember
Missed the spacer sleeves

So much for being observant lol thanks

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so does anyone know of a way to lower the entire 4l60e?
IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

thanks

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You are just going to have to tilt the back down some and try to get your angles acceptable. There is no way to lower the whole engine/trans without major frame modification.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Remember that you want the input on the 205 at the same angle as the output on the trans.

98_k1500

Reaction score
^^^ you may have to shim it to get its input angle right after the trans drop.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome thanks guys that's what i thought...
wasnt sure if there was a low profile motor mount kit that lowered the motor into the frame a bit allowing the tranny to be set in lower as well

lol oh well

i will tilt that t case a bit

thanks guys really appreciate it

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i give you all my nopes, driveline is picky, if you want proper i can tell you how to do proper, but tilting your engine and trans isnt proper at all, for a divorced case youll need a completely seperate crossmember for the case, remember also that input and outputs should be 100% level as should your trans be at the same angle with you rear end, yes people aim the rear end up, its whatever but completely proper driveline angle is either -\ _ , or theres wierd ones to use odd angles for things to operate properly, either way youll need three driveshafts custom made, with a divorced cas you cannot in any way use stock components nor would i hope any would ever do that.

98_k1500

Reaction score
^^ the problem is his divorce mounted case is up as high as it can possibly go and the input shaft is still lower than the output of the trans. Its making his intermediate shaft have too much of an angle. He will have to lower the trans some, then shim the case to get the output of the trans parallel to the input of the transfer.