454SS steering box swap. NEED HELP! P/S pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Torchred

Carolina Can
Reaction score
I found this out the hard way, the 454ss box that most places sell is just the standard truck box, no difference except in price. Its rebuilt with the same internals, the one I bought even had the same markings my steering box did.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found this out the hard way, the 454ss box that most places sell is just the standard truck box, no difference except in price. Its rebuilt with the same internals, the one I bought even had the same markings my steering box did.

Well that is interesting. Do you remember what brand/line it was?

I guess this is another good example of why sticking to ACDelco parts is a good idea whenever possible.

Torchred

Carolina Can
Reaction score
Well that is interesting. Do you remember what brand/line it was?

I guess this is another good example of why sticking to ACDelco parts is a good idea whenever possible.

Cardone I believe but after doing some research most reman boxes are just done with standard ratios and labeled as the ss box.

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
interesting. yeah they use the same housing and even the casting numbers are the same but the ratios are usually different. at least they came different in my box. on the autozone website it said 2.5 turns lock to lock and when i purchased it and put it in i can confirm 2.5 turns lock to lock. plus it was the same price as the normal box for me