4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Yeah im about to do this mod, so I read this sticky and laughed at the connectors used also.

Im going to pull a schematic on the headlight hi and low beams and possible wire up a factory on/off auxillary light switch from an ambulance gmt400 (I think thats what used them) to independently control low beams, but still have them come on with multi function switch aswell.

So I can turn headlights on low beams like normal, flick high beams on like normal, then flip my factory aux. light switch and have low beams come back on while in high beams.

Just because I like factory functionality to still be present even with mods.

I didnt wire my cab lights to the switch it came with, thought that would of been rather corny, wired them to the brown wire coming off headlight switch (parking lamp b+)

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Nope.

Either the original harness modification or the one I listed above removes power load off the dash switch because you are only triggering the coil in the relay.

Talking milliamps instead of amps.

The difference in the method I listed is that you bypass all the stuff in the multifunction switch and you don't need an extra relay to do the 4 hi mod.

The only drawback is you have to run a relatively small gauge wire through the firewall.

Oh sweet, thanks I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I will do this instead of trying to get a hold of Baron as I know he is super busy always LoL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
After almost 2 years of working flawlessly in my '97, the 4-Hi mod just quit working. Went to use the high beams, all 4 came on, then they flickered & the lows went off. Now the lights operate as stock.
Changed the relay. Didn't help.
Checked all the connections. All look good. Got the test light out. Have power at & after the connections when on low or high.
They're wired in behind the D/S bumper light.
Electrical diagnostic doofus here. Baffled now!
Could this be a prob. with the H/L switch itself?

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
After almost 2 years of working flawlessly in my '97, the 4-Hi mod just quit working. Went to use the high beams, all 4 came on, then they flickered & the lows went off. Now the lights operate as stock.
Checked all the connections. All look good. Got the test light out. Have power at & after the connections when on low or high.

Have you checked the fuse?

sent from Rustbucket

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score

sounds like bad fuse or relay or possible bad connection for the ground or power coming off the relay.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got HIDs running in my truck, I hooked them up using a relay on the passenger side only. The driver side headlight plug is not currently plugged into anything. Can I do the 4hi mod on the driver side or do I have to tie it into the relay I used on the pass side?