Is there a mod to run 3157 brake and turn together

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Jumpers jammed into a beat old circuit board worked fine as proof of concept; didn't put them in the truck to see if it created issues with the front signals so that would be necessary to check.

Some careful work would get one into the traces hidden in the plastic (i.e. use a dremel to remove a little plastic above a trace) to attach the jumpers in a more permanent way without disturbing the contacts in the socket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richard - It looks like your jumpers are going to the existing connectors which would have the top bulb flash (signal or hazard) when the lights are off, and when the lights are on they would not flash because they are already on? Which is what the OP needs.

As mention earlier in this thread, I first tried to jump the wires outside the housing at the connector. That might work. However, you inspired me to further advance your Texas Engineering to connect the second filament in the middle bulb to the second filament in the top bulb. Did it work? Yes. Will I keep it that way? No. It messed up my already precarious LED operation and caused the hazards not to flash except on my clock! I tried a mix of LED and incandescent and with incandescent, they worked fine. I like the LEDs. No problem on the brakes or causing other lights to turn on.

Top tail as turn and hazard.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here's an update. I moved the incandescent to the lower of the two tail lights (not the reverse light) and moved the LED into the top position and everything works good. Two turn signals, brake lights, and hazards. Plus it fixed my other Side Marker issue mentioned here. The wires are tight with no exposed wire. I'm going to leave it like this.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final update: I did not keep the dual light setup after all. The main reason is that I was able to get all of the LEDs working fine (see here) and with two red LEDs in the rear housing, it is plenty bright and I just like the look of the dimmer red tail light on all of the time. Also, I didn't consider that the jumper wires made it difficult to attach the circuit board to the housing as the wires were in the way.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Final update: I did not keep the dual light setup after all. The main reason is that I was able to get all of the LEDs working fine (see here) and with two red LEDs in the rear housing, it is plenty bright and I just like the look of the dimmer red tail light on all of the time. Also, I didn't consider that the jumper wires made it difficult to attach the circuit board to the housing as the wires were in the way.
Yep like I said the jumper wires in my example were just proof of concept. To make it work permanently, some digging into the plastic of the circuit board to solder in jumpers would be needed. I wasn't really motivated enough to try for a permanent mod, IIRC it was someone else asking if it were possible and I felt like trying to figure it out. Many years ago - probably back in the FullsizeChevy forum days.

Richard