4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I've hit a brick wall with these heads. I'm going to have to return them and go through this madness again :mad:

When I ordered these aluminum headaches, I ordered the ANGLED plugs, thinking that meant that the plugs are angled to clear the exhaust header.

You must be registered for see images attach

WRONG!

They are angled at 45° toward each other, and will not clear the exhaust no matter what I do. I ran into this issue on my Trans Am, but I was able to massage the header enough to clear. That won't work in this case. I even mocked the header up to the iron head and the plugs come STRAIGHT OUT.

All I can say is this point is FFAAACCCKKKK!@#$ :banghead::banghead::banghead:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do the washers need to be hardened? They're just spacers in this case. I can get 7/16" washers at Tractor Supply FFS and not have to pay for shipping nor wait a week for the junk to come in.
Because you're running at .0001" critical tolerances at up to ~3000 RPM. This isn't my specs, it's ALL the cam companies' requirements. Have you ever seen a lifler and/or a cam lobe wear down? Your call.

They are angled at 45° toward each other, and will not clear the exhaust no matter what I do.
They are angled to eliminate the shroud over the intake valve. Accel makes flat washer seat shorty plugs for this (0416S-4 for 4 plugs). You need flat washer plugs for aluminum heads, they're shorter and use a 5/8" wrench ;)

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because you're running at .0001" critical tolerances at up to ~3000 RPM. This isn't my specs, it's ALL the cam companies' requirements. Have you ever seen a lifler and/or a cam lobe wear down? Your call.

They are angled to eliminate the shroud over the intake valve. Accel makes flat washer seat shorty plugs for this (0416S-4 for 4 plugs). You need flat washer plugs for aluminum heads, they're shorter and use a 5/8" wrench ;)

Not sure what you mean by a shroud over the intake valve. Never heard of that. Granted, I'd rather give those plugs a try before I go tearing the heads off yet again.... but I seriously should have ordered heads with straight plugs, NOW THAT I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!

I looked on Summit Racing for those "hardened washers". Seems everything is either a gimmick or a wild goose chase. Have a part number, by chance?

With that.. is there a reason I couldn't have just changed the springs out in these to match my cam and bolted them on?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks for that. I think I'm going to be returning these heads anyway, but let's see what $.02 Summit Racing has.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Summit Racing is of course giving me a hard time about returning an item that's been installed..... FWIW, I'd really rather NOT go through all that work of tearing down the heads and cleaning them up... only for the return to not be accepted.

@PlayingWithTBI, are you SURE those Accel plugs will help to solve my problem? I don't mind having to massage the headers a bit if necessary. Hell, I can heat them up with a torch and tap them with a ball peen hammer. No problem there. However, that's just not an option with the current setup.

EDIT: The driver side header clears the plugs perfectly. Go figure.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. Last update until all of the parts come in. What's done is done. I'm taking all of the advice from this:

I found all of the parts on Summit Racing. In addition to that, I've started to massage the passenger side header for that ONE plug to fit. I'll tell you all right now, VHT header paint can definitely take a beating... even with an acetylene torch o_O

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI, are you SURE those Accel plugs will help to solve my problem? I don't mind having to massage the headers a bit if necessary. Hell, I can heat them up with a torch and tap them with a ball peen hammer. No problem there. However, that's just not an option with the current setup.
Well, I've had them on mine for months, I wrapped the headers, and put socks on them all but only needed sleeves on the back 2 of each head.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the pics. Although, It must be nice to afford the brand name stuff that lines right up with no modding involved.

Roller cam? Yeah most of the heads I've looked at are set up for that. Must be where the real power is. Again. I have champagne taste on a kool aid budget.

BTW, @PlayingWithTBI what brand of headers are those and what model year truck are they in?

Last edited: