4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then where the Hell are "The Seasonally Frozen Wastelands"?

I've asked you this once before and didn't get a straight answer.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tore the heads off again today. Reasons: to install the soft plug I missed and to correctly install the head gaskets this time.

While I have the heads off, remind me why I can't use a hydraulic roller aluminum head with a hydraulic flat tappet cam?

The aluminum heads that were suggested earlier are never going to ship. I'd prefer an affordable replacement sooner than later, but there always seems to be some reason why this head or that head won't work.

Meh.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I have the heads off, remind me why I can't use a hydraulic roller aluminum head with a hydraulic flat tappet cam?
I’m pretty sure it’s because of the valve springs. Different weights are needed for the different cams…

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it’s because of the valve springs. Different weights are needed for the different cams…

Now see THAT'S the answer I needed! I appreciate the straight answer in plain English as opposed to an off the wall answer with a suggested way to make something work.

With that, I'm looking at ordering these, instead:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Answered THAT mess in your other thread.

I'm sure you did.

I went and did my own research, contacted Summit Racing, and even ran some numbers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with these heads, other than the fact that they aren't a bank-breaking big name like Edelbrock or Holley.

I welcome the input and I'm happy to read it (Hell, I asked for it!), although it's evident that no matter what I buy (especially on a budget), it's not going to please everyone.

That's ok lol because they are going on my truck and not anyone else's :)

Sooooooooooooooo with that: Here's the critical oil leak I fixed today. Yup. There's definitely a soft plug missing. It was a mistake that I won't make again and I have definitely learned from it! I'm just glad that I didn't have to pull the engine. That would have SUCKED!

You must be registered for see images attach

Fixed! It's a thread in type so I used my trusty Permatex Aviation thread sealant.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now, we wait for the heads to come in. Stay tuned.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Soft plugs" are stamped sheetmetal. Often called "freeze plugs" which is silly, or more-accurately "core plugs". In smaller sizes, they seal oil galleries, but not threaded oil galleries.

If it's threaded like that one, it's generically a "tapered pipe-thread plug". There are other thread styles for plugs, (straight pipe thread, metric pipe thread, O-ring Boss, etc.) but they're not applicable to iron SBC blocks.

What intake manifold are you using with those Flotech heads?