4.3 Vortec Cheap Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive read that a 94 ford taurus electric fan hooked up as a puller works great. Ive heard the 4.3 need atleast 2000 cfm and that ford fan put that out

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crown vic fan all the way fits the rad perfect ill get you a pic in a few mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not a lot of performance parts were made for the 4.3 to begin with.
Changed a few things around on mine with a Hyper-Tech tuner. All that did was raise my shift points 500 rpm & re-calibrated the computer to compensate for the larger wheels. Not a lot of performance to be found there.
Changed the exhaust to a single 3" cat back. That probably hurt the performance! It'll work fine for whenever it does get a V8.
I looked at headers. Never could find any used ones. New ones? Yikes! I could buy 2.5 pairs for an SBC for the same price!
Then, I ditched that %$#@! gov-lock, added a 'real' posi (Eaton) & changed the gears to 3.73 from the 3.42's.
Holy schnappin' areseholes, Batman! That woke it up! Suddenly the truck had 'some' performance! 4.3's aren't supposed to turn on like that! Big improvement on the fun factor!
But...the gears killed the gas mileage. Or maybe I was just having too much fun! Hehe!
If the intake manifold gaskets hadn't failed, which was the demise of that engine, the next trick was a real 'tune'.
Along with the marine intake, that's about all that I found could be done to 'The Mighty V6' with bolt-ons, short of building an engine from the crank, up. Which CAN be done, but at an exorbitant expense! I can have both my trucks 6.0 powered for the same $$$, & be packin' 2X as H.P., each, with much more tuneability via a 411 swap & EFIlive!
4.3's were built for budget minded consumers. They do get fairly decent mileage, but a 5.0 or a 5.7 in the same vehicle can achieve almost the same mileage, with better performance. And there is a huge aftermarket for anything SBC.
Not saying to swap in a V8 right now, though. Just drive that little 4.3 till it drops, then do a swap to an 8.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya i understand the 4.3 was NEVER intended to be a "performance" engine and the aftermarket is small to say the least. i have no intentions in doing an engine swap (even though i have an LS motor on the stand now) Ive just always been very impressed with the output and durability of that Mighty V6. Plus with 200,000 miles on the clock its still running very strong! So ive kinda set a goal to squeeze all i can out of my 4.3,and Ive heard of the marine intake but do not know how i can get my hands on a cheap one.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes that does seem like a very nice fit. and specific year(s) crown vic? and i assume you also must grab the harness/relay also correct?