4.3 Vortec Cheap Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im Looking to add some Cheap/free Horsepower to my old V6 4.3 (i know not to expect much).I have already done the Debaffled Throttle blade mod, descreened my MAF, Deleted the vortec silencer box. A friend gave me some Heddman Longtube headers that came off and older (TBI) 4.3. Im pretty sure they'll Bolt up with an aftermarket Y pipe and added O2 bungs. Just wondering if anyone can help me squeeze a little more fun out of my V6 without breaking the bank. The Vehicle is a 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd 4.3 Vortec (SFI)

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im Looking to add some Cheap/free Horsepower to my old V6 4.3 (i know not to expect much).I have already done the Debaffled Throttle blade mod, descreened my MAF, Deleted the vortec silencer box. A friend gave me some Heddman Longtube headers that came off and older (TBI) 4.3. Im pretty sure they'll Bolt up with an aftermarket Y pipe and added O2 bungs. Just wondering if anyone can help me squeeze a little more fun out of my V6 without breaking the bank.

Re-gear the rear end... Best bang for the buck.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the GU6 RPO for 3:42 gears and i wouldnt mind going with 3:73's. But Im more interested in upgrading to a better diff, like a locker. If im not mistaken i have an 8.5 Rear end, and not sure what options i have. i want to find a junkyard complete rearend with a good posi unit.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do the same... I have 3.42's and 30" tires :banghead: Absolutely gutless! I'm going to 3.73's. If you buy a G80 code 8.5 make sure you pop the cover off and take a good look at everything before paying for it! That 4.3 won't have enough power to hurt the factory GM "lockers" as long as it is intact when you buy it.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was looking into a G80 but wasnt sure what year to get it from, did 99 and newer have 8.5's or are they 8.6's? and im not sure if the 88-98 had good posi units

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as you're staying close to stock the factory 88-98 locker was fine... I'm sure someone will chime in about how bad they are but GM engineers didn't design those to hang onto 35's behind a chipped 350.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so as long as its a G80 from our 88-98 its a 3:42 locker? are those auburn diffs? because im more less looking for more posi action. mose auburns ive delt with are too open.