Cheap and Easy Throttle Response Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I did the 'flip the lid' on my '95 K2500 a week or two ago and will state that the seat of the pants feel supports that the engine is breathing much better and is making more power. I bought the K&N cold air package for my '88 C1500 and believe that this mod achieves much the same power gain. I only did the lid flip as a quick test to see what happened but I will be leaving it. Would I rather have cold air induction, yes but this is a zero dollar investment. I followed this up by having true dual exhausts fitted, and I didn't really feel much difference with that 2.25 pipes and mufflers.

True 'dual' exhaust is tossing away power potential from scavenging, or the loss therof. Yes, total flow potential is up, but scavenging is down compared to a system with a Y, H or X pipe that connects both banks together. On a naturally aspirated engine, this is more of an issue compared to a forced induction engine.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on the open air filter vs a "closed" cold air system...

An open element looks cool and seems to add power, but the reality is that it negatively affect an engine's efficiency and performance, especially once it gets up to operating temp. Whether on a 1970 Chevelle, 1984 Trans Am, or an '88-'98 GMT400... All that incoming air is heated significantly by your radiator...

This became obvious to every manufacturer in Detroit, and even FoRd. By 1970, they all realized that an open element air cleaner was craptastic, unless you put it into some kind of ducted cold air system...
IE, 1970 Chevelle SS Cowl Induction Hood (functional), Pontiac Ram Air (functional)... Hurst/Olds 442's huge dual snorkel hood.... many "lesser" performance variants had open element air cleaners, but ALL of the true monsters, and classic NASCAR super cars used ducted cold air systems to feed nice "clean", cold air to their engines.

(PS. automotive "Ram Air" systems really dont ram air into an engine because they cant overcome the pressure bubble and cannot physically compress the air, until they get somewhere north of 300mph...See Bernoulli Effect... this is what Turbos and Superchargers do.)

The heat in thr engine bay can easily be tested out by anyone. Take your truck up onto the highway and get her up to temp, then select "Hot" on your HVAC, but dont turn on the fan... You will get pretty friggen hot with out the fan... open your windows, you'll still be feeling hot air. Now turn on the fan and think about how hot your engine bay is, ...with the exhaust manifolds adding even more heat.... Sure you have airflow, but its far from "cool" under the hood.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Though a ram air system typically doesn't give you air higher in density than atmospheric it does lessen the pressure drop you can observe as the engine climbs in RPM.

Tzfbird

Reaction score
Funny like using springs for cruise control. I've had my throttle stick open when it hung up on my open element housing. I just laughed and laughed when I took my foot off the pedal and the car kept accelerating.

Trevor Coburn

Reaction score
Haha that stock stovepipe is there to reduce intake noise from the factory and flows like **** especially at lower revs. Flipping the lid itself months ago gave better response but removing the shrouding around it doubled what flipping the lid did initially. The air in the engine bay only gets hot when the vehicle is stationary for long periods but more hot air still runs better than less cool air. That janky spring in my first post has been relocated and replaced with a much nicer one. The spring reduces the amount of pressure required to move the petal because the throttle body has two springs, and the tv cable has quite a bit of tension itself. It makes the petal feel more like a regular newer car which really helps with response.

I was so surprised by how much it helped that I was inspired to share it on here as my first post.
I did the air cleaner on mine as well and seems to be the same result! Plus looks way cleaner and no issues so far. If I do I’m building duel ram air intake.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Funny like using springs for cruise control. I've had my throttle stick open when it hung up on my open element housing. I just laughed and laughed when I took my foot off the pedal and the car kept accelerating.

I think I'd freak out and freak out if that happened to me.