4:10 gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the form, and couldn't find a better place to post my guestion. But I was wondering if anyone has done a gt4 to gt5 swap. I like the thrown back in your seat feeling. But I do not want to lose to much top end. Would it take my truck in or out of it's powerband and make the transmission shifts to were I lose power. The truck is soon to be cammed and chipped it already has headers and full exhaust. With 275/50/17 tires if those are Any help. But any help would be appreciated. Also I was thinking during the swap of doing a limited slip conversion. By the way awesome form guys! Bacsily would the swap be worth it good or bad? Thanks!

Last edited:

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well my trucks running something around a 4.10 or 4.11 and i can tell you right now if you don't calibrate your speedometer and vss your tranny won't wanna stay in its powerband. mines a 95 and i've had nothing but problems with the tranny not staying in the right gear and i've yet to find the time to calibrate it and get a new chip. right now i have to stay in third in the city to keep from burning up my overdrive. and if i'm under 45 mph you can say no to staying in the right gear...5mpg city later. but if your not lazy like me and get the right tune i'd say go for it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to the OP, it would help to know what kind of truck this is in (and what trans you are running), and how you plan to use it (i.e. daily driving, weekends, track, etc)....I swapped from 3.73's to 4.88's on 29" tires and it was exactally what I needed, however my trans setup is unconventional and required such a change for my geographical area.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replys but the truck is 1990 with a 700r4 and the truck is a daily driver but I would like to surprise mustang 5.0s out of the hole. Thanks for the help again.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had a posi and 3.73 gears from 3.42 installed and my 93 F/S GMC needed no tune.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
think so bud,
also
4.88 on a 29" tire.. wtf? lol

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i need to send my motives back and get some 5.13

trx88

I'm Awesome