Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the last line in the ad for the motor reads =The stock computer adapts to the new HT383E, and you suddenly have stump-pulling, big-inch small block at your disposal.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You have three different options when tuning, in person, data logging, and traditional tunes... Most go with traditional, which you fill out a sheet of what tasks and activities you do with the truck, then you're charged a $60 core charge, and $200 for the tunes... They then send you a custom tuned PCM, which you swap on to your truck... They also offer lifetime retunes, and you can ask for custom stuff, like when I order mine, I will ask to tune out the post-cat O2 sensor, so my CEL won't always be on... Hope this helps!!

What I do is load a custom tune to an SCT programmer and send it out. On OBDII vehicles you don't need a new ECM, just new parameters. When I send you the tuner you will be able to access simple adjustments without me having to email you a tune. Things like tire size, axle ratio, O2 sensor delete, shift points and fuel grade can be changed from the user interface.

Edit- This is what I see when tuning:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
With a custom tune on the SCT your looking at big $$ though arent you? i'll admit that its much easier that a Blackbear tune to adjust yourself. but the blackbear tune is only 200$ and It will encorperate everything you need. Blackbear tunes with EFI Live which is around 800$ to buy yourself.

beast94

Reaction score
You have three different options when tuning, in person, data logging, and traditional tunes... Most go with traditional, which you fill out a sheet of what tasks and activities you do with the truck, then you're charged a $60 core charge, and $200 for the tunes... They then send you a custom tuned PCM, which you swap on to your truck... They also offer lifetime retunes, and you can ask for custom stuff, like when I order mine, I will ask to tune out the post-cat O2 sensor, so my CEL won't always be on... Hope this helps!!

Agreed. And he will require a new tune regardless, if puts in the 383 because you are adding 33 more cubic inches to the motor. This is going to have a drastic effect on the air intake requirements. Another form of tuning that he could do is installing an EBL Flash ECM from Dynamic EFI. As BlackBeauty stated, when you have a custom tune, you can tune out sensors or parameters that you do not want or need.

beast94

Reaction score
With a custom tune on the SCT your looking at big $$ though arent you? i'll admit that its much easier that a Blackbear tune to adjust yourself. but the blackbear tune is only 200$ and It will encorperate everything you need. Blackbear tunes with EFI Live which is around 800$ to buy yourself.

Yes it is easier to use a hand held programmer, but it is not the best way. Just because it uses $800 softwear doesnt mean it is going to program it properly. Hand held programmers have generic settings so that they can apply to many different engines. This will program a better tune into your stock computer, but it will not be the best tune. The only way to get the best tune is to have a professional do it. As I stated above there are aftermarket computer that you can install that offer self learning capabilities such as the EBL Flash. But these ECMs have a learning curve to them. If you would like to learn about EFI tuning there are great books on it and if you are willing to do the work this is a great way too go. There is free tuning software such as TunerPro that works great.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
SCT Advantage III is $2000 software, not including the application specific dongle. But I charge $250 for a tuner with one custom tune and 2 canned tunes. This is a far better option than a new computer because this can be adjusted as needed. The best option, bar none, is to let a tuner dyno tune the vehicle using software similar to what I use. I haven't been doing that as much lately, sending out more canned tunes than anything. Advantage III is only available to professionals, it is not available to the public.

I'm not sure how much tuning experience you have with internal mods but stroking a motor changes NOTHING as far as the computer goes. You may want to increase injector PWM at heavy throttle but everything else stays the same. Chip burning is in the past and is an inferior way to tune. Every single OBDII computer has adaptive learning, no need to buy a computer if that is what you want.

Edit- The average price for an SCT tuner is around $400 with custom tunes for life. The tuner does not have to be hooked up to the vehicle. Once you load the tune you can remove the tuner. What the tuner is doing is building off of your factory tune. It saves the factory settings in its memory and adds the parameters I adjusted to those settings. If you want to go back to stock all you have to do is plug in the tuner, remove the tune and it will reload that factory settings. Because of this, you must not have any tune other than factory in order to use a tuner. If your engine has already been tuned then when I build a tune, the tuner is going to go off of those settings and really screw up engine characteristics. Lets say you want 15* base timing and you want the idle at 800rpms. I set up those tables and send you the tune. Well if the engine was already tuned at 12* base(when factory is 6*) and the idle at 600rpms(when factory is 500) then what will happen is when you install the tune you will get 21* base timing and 900rpm idle. You have to make certain that your computer isn't already tuned. If it is I can still build a tune but I would need the vehicle in person to make a copy of the current tune and adjust from there. A dyno tune would be necessary.

Last edited:

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I do is load a custom tune to an SCT programmer and send it out. On OBDII vehicles you don't need a new ECM, just new parameters. When I send you the tuner you will be able to access simple adjustments without me having to email you a tune. Things like tire size, axle ratio, O2 sensor delete, shift points and fuel grade can be changed from the user interface.

Edit- This is what I see when tuning:

Thats pretty sweet... This summer I'm going to look into engine modification and performance

beast94

Reaction score

Yes it is easier to use a hand held programmer, but it is not the best way. Just because it uses $800 softwear doesnt mean it is going to program it properly. Hand held programmers have generic settings so that they can apply to many different engines. This will program a better tune into your stock computer, but it will not be the best tune. The only way to get the best tune is to have a professional do it. As I stated above there are aftermarket computer that you can install that offer self learning capabilities such as the EBL Flash. But these ECMs have a learning curve to them. If you would like to learn about EFI tuning there are great books on it and if you are willing to do the work this is a great way too go. There is free tuning software such as TunerPro that works great.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score

EFI Live is not a handheld tuner, Its PC based. and its really only reccomended if you want to get in real deep and do all the tuning youself.
I have a Blackbear tune, 3 of them actually and they all work great. i have a Diferent PCM for each tune, Stock, Mileage and performance. I only ever use the mileage though.
For 200$ a tune and 60$ deposit for the PCM its hard to go wrong. Lifetime retunes and He will tune the exact same as the SCT Tuner.

Also, I know little about the SCT Tuner, We have one for our 6.0l Powerstroke and have never even plugged it in (tune was on the truck already) and its been great, For 250$ though I really like the fact that you can change the simple things yourself.

The tune is really all about what you want out of it and how much you want to get involved. For a simple performance/mileage increase with little to no learning involved a mail order tune (blackbear tune would be the way to go, Or Tempted's tuning sounds good too.
Then there is dyno tuning.. its pretty self explanitory and done by professionals and is costly but may be the 'best'
Then self tuning, this can get pretty messy but after lots of learning you can end up with a tune better suited for your driving style than either a mail order or dyno tune.

but that 383 will drop in and run fine without a tune.. but why not open it up to its full potential with a tune?