383 performance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greensmith

Reaction score
Well, I've got a 383 stroker I built for my 95 1/2 ton ecsb obs, and I've got a few questions about its power output.
Now that I've driven on the motor for about 1k miles or so, I feel that it should be making a bit more power than it does.
My question is, what HP and TQ should it be making(about)? And what is sub-optimal in my setup...
dual-plane air-gap carb intake manifold
stock 5.7l throttle body w/ 18 psi spring
1" TB spacer / adapter plate
vortec heads
cam: 108 LSA, 202 intake/exhaust duration @ .050
custom chip and a fuel pump from tbichips.com
stock 4l60e trans
That's what I can remember at the moment if any more info is necessary just ask... and any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 29

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You're choking that engine with that tiny 480cfm tbi.

Also, that cam is mighty small.....what's the cam lift and what rockers are you using?

Greensmith

Reaction score
The valve lift on the cam is .41 int/exh. and I have 1.5/1 rocker arms. I've attached an image of all the cam specs to the original post as well.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Do an o-ring conversion on the valve stems to increase your available lift. Plus your valves will thank you for their increased oiling.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The valve lift on the cam is .41 int/exh. and I have 1.5/1 rocker arms. I've attached an image of all the cam specs to the original post as well.

Is that the lift with 1.5 rockers? If not, then you're valves are seeing .615" :p

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throwing in some 1.6 rockers would be the easiest and cheapest way to approach the problem. 1.6 lifters will net you .437" of lift. You could use more, but this way you would not have to mess with the new cam and all that related work, plus if you go with the cam like the one listed above, any head work.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, and 1.6 is as high as I would recommend....1.7's would require alot of machine work up top. After that, I'd personally switch the tbi with atleast one from the 454, if not a bigger one, and use your stock injector pod and injectors.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
With the standard vortec valve oiling system(or lack thereof....it's an oil seal), you can only safely achieve .470"(this is the general rule of thumb, some will allow more or less)....if you switch to the O-ring type oiling system(like on older engines), you can safely achieve .500" without any modifications. If this is a truck engine and you're gonna use it as such, you will benefit more from higher lift, instead of increasing the duration.