350/383 or LS1???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Haha, it starts out that way, but the more you do your research the more confident you'll bein your choice...For a while I was dead set on building a 383 when my motor dies, but after leaning more about LS motors I've decided thats the only way to go

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around here,(Dallas/FTW area) they might run $500-600 but they want include any accessories or the dang harness. Thats' why I'm worried, trying to piece it all together.
Honestly, an a 5.3L with a mild cam and tune or a 6L LSx with just a tune would run circles around a 383 that you spent twice as much to build. I've seen low mile 5.3L engines with complete harness go from $400 up to $1100 around here. The associated stuff to make it work isn't all the much more expensive.

With a 383 you're looking at easily $3K to have it done right, with enough mods to even approach the stock output of an LQ4 for instance.

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I've gone all over the place with this. I know the LS is a far better motor, I was just thinking if I get one from the junkyard, will the coils be good? Since they aren't cheap. What about having someone clean it up? Not sure I could do it. Then things like the oil pump? Change or not? I was thinking while the motor is out, do as much as I can that way I don't have to yank it again. Hell buying the accesssories only seems expensive.
Haha, it starts out that way, but the more you do your research the more confident you'll bein your choice...For a while I was dead set on building a 383 when my motor dies, but after leaning more about LS motors I've decided thats the only way to go

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
If the engine has less than 150K miles, I wouldn't touch it. Just toss it in, get in tuned and drive the hell out of it. 150K miles on an engine is nothing anymore with modern manufacturing.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
ill let ya know, there are only a few guys i'd trust with something like this and i don't know many in Rockwall that i'd let change my oil.... but ill look into it for ya

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I just spoke to the guy from craigslist, his name is Alex. Here's the info I got, sounds good hope it is good. Here's the link again http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2967605637.html

5.3 Motors $775
Installs $500-$600 (plus cost of fluids)
Computer $100
Custom Tune $150
Wiring Harness $150
Stand Alone Harness $250
Custom Motor Mounts $150
Fuel Pump $150
Electric Fans $150 (From a Camero)

Hell yes...Hope it's legit....