3" Rough Country Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
Hey all, just got a full (old version with bolt in ball joints) rough country 3" lift for my K1500, I was curious as to how big of a pain in the butt its gonna be to install, as theyve since updated the kit and the instructions and the old ones are...vague... it comes with all 4 shocks and boots, add a leaf's and 3" blocks (probly do both since the aal's only really add 1-1.5" and I tow alot, hopefully the blocks dont make the axle wrap too bad) uca's and bushings, diff drop bracket, etc. Ive seen a few threads on the 4-6" kits but never one for a simpler 3" kit. Any and all help is much appreciated, I just put fresh pro comp xtreme at's on it in a 285 and a nice 3" lift would really dress the truck up, I also cranked the torsion keys a little which picked the truck up about 1.5" up front without totally destroying my ride. Anyone have the stock specs for where they are supposed to be when the new keys go in that the kit included? Im one to ask a million questions so bare with me and thanks again in advance.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Its been documented a bunch of times that the 3" kit is terrible, it does not address everything it should. You will eat through some front end components rather quickly, especially if it is a daily driver. It does not address lower ball joints or tie rods. It also does not drop the diff 3", so it is increasing the CV angles as well at "normal" torsion bar level.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah dont put it on... Its going to cause you more headaches than its worth. If anything sell the kit and either buy a PA 3in bl or save up for a 4in kit. This kits has been very well documented to be terrible.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heim tierods would fix that issue by being stronger and you could move them to the top of the spindle so they would be pretty flat then, maybe even be able to redrill the taper from the top so you could flip the factory tierods. The kit may not move the diff the entire 3" but the angles wont be any worse than they are now cranked to level and the 6" kit doesnt drop the diff 6" it drops it 5" so i see no difference there. Personally i dont see 285s and the 3" kit being any harder on stuff than guys that over crank 6" kits with 35s

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
wow, didnt know there was quite this much crap against the kit, good thing I only paid 200 for it. It looks like the guy with the tahoe didnt install the longer brake lines and installed the shock extender out instead of up, which essentially does...nothing for lift and demolish the cv boots as shown. at the risk of sounding like a complete ignoramus, I may still install it, and get the upgraded hardware if they sell it separately, as the new version of the kit seems to have a better rep as well as upgrade the steering components and ball joints, as they are pretty much worn out anyway being the original ones to the truck, I do know that the rcx shocks suck, but, theyre better than whats on the truck now, and a stiffer ride doesnt bother me. This truck has always ridden stiffer than others that my friends have, and I know its not the best for the truck but I only cranked the bars an inch total and it is stiffer, but not as horrible as others have described. - you may now judge lol. disadvantage to having the truck as my daily driver is that if stuff does break regularly, im SOL with only myself to blame. Ideally I wanted the 4" lift but its just out of my price range and I dont feel confident installing one like that myself.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMC you do you man, im just letting you know the dangers that can insue from this lift. it esstially allows you to crank a little more. Thats about it.

Havoc2004

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
they've supposedly updated and improved the kit in the past year or so, anyone heard recent reviews? That review from Tahoe forum was 2 years ago, was that an old kit?

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
The one on that tahoe was the old kit, same one I bought and installed on my truck, its a pain in the ass to put on to be blunt, I was also essentially doing it by myself in my garage, but, once its on, no issues, it rides rougher but its not unbearable and I like how the truck looks, no shock extenders eating my CV boots or blown out ball joints yet. Friend of mine has the newer kit and his rides a little nicer (mines cranked on top of the lift to give me almost 4" up front) but overall he has no complaints as well. Ill try and post pictures once I get a photobucket and all set up.