3/4 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 rcsbss I need to rebuild the front and back (225,000 miles) some where along the way it got lowered . It has always rode horrible and yes I know lowered trucks ride different but going down the interstate one day hit a nasty uneven spot /pothole in the road and the whole ass end of the truck went side ways and also the truck has never been able to get it to align back to factory spec I would like to do a 3 inch in the front with springs so I can keep my sport rims my question is can I get it to align with with springs ? And how do the trucks ride like on shackles and factory springs . I think mine have had springs removed .

scottx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah best bet for easy alignment is to run 2" spindles and 1" springs (you may need to run 2" springs with a spacer). You can keep using your 15" rims, just trim the lower control arms. Very easy and has been done by many, no strength issues with it unless you do a horrible job of the trimming.

Lowered doesn't mean it has to ride poorly. Just whoever lowered yours did a hack job of it. In the rear, either they removed springs or torched them, you'll just have to get a good look at the pack. Should be 4 leafs total in there including the overload.

Before spending money on parts though you better be sure you're gonna be happy with a 3/4 drop. Once you decide it's not enough and you want to go 4/6, a lot of the stuff you just bought and installed will need to be removed (1" front springs, shackles, hangers) and replaced...and the hangers ain't fun to start with.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Do both sides. In the bottom pic, it needs to be ground down a bit more, toward the inside. Use stick on balancing weights, not the clip style on the wheels.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Somethin's funky with that rear suspension on your truck. It should NOT do that!
One of my 400's is dropped 2/4. Shackles & hangers. Handles fine. With the rear sway bar, better than stock. Still gets used as a truck.
Good shocks help. I have a bin with all the ones I've tried. Can't recommend the Belltech Street Performers enough! Love 'em!
Urethane bushings help, too. A complete kit is fairly cheap. Less than $150.00. But, the control arm bushings can be somewhat of a pitA to install. I picked up a set of used upper & lower control arms (wreckers) cleaned 'em, painted 'em, installed new ball-joints, & had the bushings installed (needed to do that in a press) so that when it came to do the lowering, the truck spent less down-time on a hoist, which costs me. Straight up Re-&-Re of the arms is fairly quick & easy.
While that is all apart, check to see if the upper control arm mounts have had the knock-outs for the camber adjustment punched. That may be why you can't get a proper alignment. A good alignment shop should know about that & have the right tool to do the job. If that baffles them, move on!
Like someotherguy said. Check that spring pack. If they've been really messed with, stock ones @ the wreckers are super common, & that equals cheap!
Don't waste your time & money on lowering leafs.
And I'll say it, too. Make sure that that is the height that you're gonna stick with. Those hangers are a pitA!!! Lowering is a disease, & a little is never enough!
How is the front lowered now? With springs or with spindles? If with spindles, that uses a stock length shock.
Best to decide now if you want to go lower, as with a 4/6, you will need the 2" shorter shocks
Once you get that rear suspension figured, make sure to check the pinion angle after the right parts are all installed.
To do that, the spring center bolt head may have to be extended in order to work with whatever pinion wedge is required. I had to do that to mine even just for a 1.5* wedge.
So, I've learned my lesson!
I will NEVER do another 2/4 drop. Ever!
For one, it's not enough!
Two, the 4/7 drop on my black truck was a whole lot less hassle, both with the install of the parts & the follow-up dial-in.
Three, IT"S NOT ENOUGH!!! Really! It just isn't!

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Its nice to see a sewlow post again so much info...welcome back

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been thinking 4/6 just not to happy about notching the first frame but I can get over it. What about a djm drop lower control arm and 2 inch spring will that keep me from having Clearence Issues with the 15 inch sport rims?

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking 4/6 just not to happy about notching the first frame but I can get over it. What about a djm drop lower control arm and 2 inch spring will that keep me from having Clearence Issues with the 15 inch sport rims?

I was the same about the notch, since then I've done three trucks and never once had any problems. Even while towing.. I would go with spindles and springs and notch the lowers....