2wd brake upgrade write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pedal was still a little mushy. After that I new that the rear drums were the weak link. So I bought ssbc single piston rear disc conversion for $640 from summit racing but chose not to get the firm feel master cylinder upgrade. (Based off a 97 Ford Thunderbird) I installed the kit but for some reason it didn’t improve my brakes that much. I called ssbc and they told me to buy the firm feel master cylinder upgrade for $300.I immediately noticed the difference after I installed it. The only thing is the ssbc emergency brake is a little hocky and rotor are small, but that because you can fit most 15” wheels. they are $1000 unfortunately. Which blows affordable out. But come with firm feel master cylinder. There is also instructions in the kit to modify the proportion valve. Pics are of ssbc kit with Red plastic covers glued on the calipers
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since then a company called little shop manufacturer( which I think is owned by pro performance ) the company makes a more affordable rear disc kit conversion for $419 dollar and the similar to firm feel master cylinder for $119.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I then was randomly checking out the ssbc website and came across dual piston quick change brake calipers. To upgrade over the stock single piston.That don’t require modification and you can use 15” wheels. I installed then and noticed even better stopping power. But at the time I bought them they were $650. Now they are $1000.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I still wasn’t happy with the brakes. I gave as properformance a look. They sell a front 14” brake kit bases off a c5 corvette caliper and rotor. They are made by Baer brakes, but only sold by this company and little shop manufacturing . Called the revelator. For $1000. It is the most affordable big front disc conversion that isn’t $2500 to $3500. So I sold my ssbc quick change caliper to a friend. The kit requires larger wheel and to cut part of the spindle to fit. 2nd pic is stock vs 14”

Last edited:

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a 13 inch big brake rear disc conversion. Little shop manufacturing and properformance make the lowest priced kit for big brake that again isn’t $2500 to $3500. For $875

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lastly I had seen a brake hydroboost system on my friends diesel and wanted to see if they made one for my year. I went to the Oriellys website and bought a hydroboost for $100. The only problem is they don’t come with the rod and spring to connect it to the master cylinder. I had to buy a used complete hydroboost off eBay from a 1990 equipped with a diesel for $100 just to get the rod and spring and to get back my $40 core

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I then bought the 3 hard lines I need for about $65. Don’t gorge to buy a 3/8 barb tee and a little bit of 3/8 power steering line for plumbing into the return. After I installed the hydroboost I couldn’t believe how well it stopped, it stop better then a super car. You have to be careful and not hit the brake to hard.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also had to modify the brake pedal arm because the arms are different . I did my own modification by welding a bolt into the brake pedal arm. This is not a bad upgrade for about $350. To answer the earlier question about why I didn’t just put on new brake pads, shoes and a hydroboost. I didn’t know they made a hydroboost for my truck and I didn’t expect it to be so easy. It also would have been helpful for some to show an upgrade write up like I did here.

Last edited:

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the hydraulic booster installed. The pic shows some space between the hydroboost and the master cylinder. Because the hydroboost is not compatible with the ssbc firm feel master cylinder. The brakes are so good you don’t need it anyway. So I bought a stock master cylinder for $38