2000 Crew Cab to 2005 Z71 Leather Interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StylerColfax

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have read a fair amount but I am still needing a bit of knowledge. My truck is the OBS 2000 C3500 Crew Cab with a pair of vinyl benches. The front is not unusable and the rear is mildewed but will clean up. Truck is manual everything.

I am stripping the interior to pull the worn vinyl floor and clean the drain channels. They were full of clay were I guess they washed the truck out over the years.

So a local yard has a 2005 4dr(full door) Z71 with near perfect black leather interior. I have done business with them for years and they have given me a serious deal on the complete front and rear seat assemblies.

I have read various post about using the 2 current holes and drilling 2 more for the front. I have not found a clear post about mounting the rear seat. I would love to have the pair in my truck. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Second question, all my trim is gray. Should I leave it gray or dye it black to match the new seats? The headliner is coming out so that can also be changed. Dash could also be pulled to further complete the change. The truck is a second vehicle/project.

I will try to post some pics once the yard pulls the seats.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whenever I hear or see a black interior, all I can think about is heat. Maybe leaving the grey trim would look alright with it and keep heat down. I put a grey late '90s split bench in a blue interior and I like the look of it. I had to drill a few more holes for the seat mounting but a few washers on the under side should be strong enough to keep them from ever pulling through.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I've had black interior for about 10 years. The seats will burn the hell out of your legs in the summer... lol
But, I still think it looks the best!

If you go with black seats I think you'd need to at least accent other parts of your interior with black.. Otherwise it just looks like you bolted in some seats that are the wrong color. It would drive me nuts, anyway... lol

Reaction score
I am intrigued.

I'd like to see pics and more info on doing this swap.

I have a CCSB with cloth interior but I was wondering about converting it to newer/leather.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have read a fair amount but I am still needing a bit of knowledge. My truck is the GMT400 2000 C3500 Crew Cab with a pair of vinyl benches. The front is not unusable and the rear is mildewed but will clean up. Truck is manual everything.

I am stripping the interior to pull the worn vinyl floor and clean the drain channels. They were full of clay were I guess they washed the truck out over the years.

So a local yard has a 2005 4dr(full door) Z71 with near perfect black leather interior. I have done business with them for years and they have given me a serious deal on the complete front and rear seat assemblies.

I have read various post about using the 2 current holes and drilling 2 more for the front. I have not found a clear post about mounting the rear seat. I would love to have the pair in my truck. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Second question, all my trim is gray. Should I leave it gray or dye it black to match the new seats? The headliner is coming out so that can also be changed. Dash could also be pulled to further complete the change. The truck is a second vehicle/project.

I will try to post some pics once the yard pulls the seats.
Plenty of people have put newer front seats in their trucks, it requires drilling holes. As far a the rears, I imagine they would take more work being the brackets and floor profiles are fairly different. I know people have had success putting GMT400 SUV seats in the rear of crewcabs with some new holes and shimming the outside brackets, and anything is possible, I just don't know what it would take.

Also, if you are putting in charcoal leather, I would consider switching the carpet and some interior pieces to charcoal.

BTW I fixed a typo in your post.

With the wealth of knowledge around here, it sure is hard to get an answer on anything crew cab related...
1: You posted about an hour ago - not much time for people to respond and thus you to make such a judgement.
2: The number of people on this forum who have crewcab trucks is considerably small compared to the rest of the populous. Of active members, there are probably only 3-4 with crewcabs (myself being one of them).
3: I answered your question in the other thread, and the same applies to the answer I gave @StylerColfax above.
4: Here is what the floor looks like with the seat removed. It's not flat at all. The center "hump" is about 1"-1.5" taller than the outer sides, which are slightly recessed except where the seat brackets bolt to, plus there is the fuel tank "hump" across the center back, about 4" tall maybe?
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a crewcab GMT800 rear set, folded forward. You can see it's much flatter underneat, the center "hump" is narrower and taller, and there is no obvious fuel tank hump.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mrmayhem52

Reaction score
Thank you! And to be clear, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, as I had posted an original post months ago with no reply. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me! And yes, I am switching most of the interior to the gray from tan. Being an WT model with manual locks/windows, it took me a year just to find decent door panels. Im in Wa state and crew cabs are pretty rare, so I had to search the interwebs constantly until I found some in PA. Carpet was easy to find (obviously). Its a slow process, but it'll get there. My reason for all of this is that I have kids in carseats and NEED the metal safety clips for the latch system. Thank you again for your reply

Mrmayhem52

Reaction score
I have also heard of people "flattening out" the floor pan right next to the gas tank hump in order to get the newer rear seats to fit. I guess no matter what, to get what I want its going to take some fab work, which is fine, just trying to pick the easiest seat that has what I need. When I start the install I will definitely post some pics.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you! And to be clear, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, as I had posted an original post months ago with no reply. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me! And yes, I am switching most of the interior to the gray from tan. Being an WT model with manual locks/windows, it took me a year just to find decent door panels. Im in Wa state and crew cabs are pretty rare, so I had to search the interwebs constantly until I found some in PA. Carpet was easy to find (obviously). Its a slow process, but it'll get there. My reason for all of this is that I have kids in carseats and NEED the metal safety clips for the latch system. Thank you again for your reply
How similar are gmt800 rear seats from a suburban compared to gmt800 suburban rear seats? The brackets look really similar.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk