2000 C3500 Possible Powertrain Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking for some advice on where to look as a ballpark - I've got a 2000 C3500 with the 5.7L and 4L80E, 4.10 14-bolt FF rear end, hydroboost brake master cylinder w/ ABS.

-I'm getting a minor vibration and audible grinding noise at around 1400 RPM and 2300 RPM, that go away when RPMS dip or exceed said RPM. It is felt very clearly in the accelerator pedal.
-This occurs in every gear as far as I can tell (1, 2, and 3 at least; I don't hit 4th gear often).
-It -seems- to be worse when turning left (though that could be me thinking it's something and confirmation bias, etc. etc.)
-It is not a chirping or squealing sound like you'd expect with a tranny noise. It is a grinding sound similar to tires rubbing on the wheel well. Tires do not rub. No transfer case, as it's 2wd.
-It does not seem to make this noise/vibration in neutral, and is most noticeable under load.
-Already replaced the carrier bearing and u-joints; noise existed both before and after those being replaced with new.

I've already lifted the truck and checked the wheel bearings, no play in them. Brake rotors and pads are fine. No clearance issues anywhere, no visible signs of any steering or suspension components rubbing and making the same noise.

Going to try removing the serpentine belt and driving it forward and back real quick. Maybe see if something on the accessory belt system (ala PS pump, alternator, AC pump, etc.) is the source of the noise and could be reverberating throughout.

Any ballpark or advice would be -greatly- appreciated. I've got the next two days off and would like to make it count. Thanks!