Extreme Grind Upon Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the problem in 5 minutes this morning. Transfer case has gone bad. It has that extreme driving grinding in 2hi, in 4hi it grinds going into it but when I start moving it doesn’t grind anymore, and my 4lo is totally gone, it used to grind horribly going into it but now it doesn’t grind into it or do anything for that matter.

Luckily I have a spare np241 laying around the shed!

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the problem in the transfer case, output shaft snap ring broke. Common failure point. If I replace it with the beefier version will this transfer case survive? Or did it cause irreparable harm? The snap ring is in quite a few pieces.
You must be registered for see images attach

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I drained out the transfer case, fluid was darkish red but i didnt see any metal in it. This is worrying me though. Right by the drain plug theres a big piece of metal in there. Do you guys think this is catastrophic damage or is this just the chain im feeling? The piece of metal doesn't want to move back or out of the transfer case.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Theres the video there...

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There should be nothing like that, at the drain plug. You showed earlier a broken snap ring. Did that come out of the drain hole?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be nothing like that, at the drain plug. You showed earlier a broken snap ring. Did that come out of the drain hole?
The snap ring was broken in the tail shaft area, I took off the drain plug on my spare tcase and it is the same. It’s the chain I believe.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I never looked inside a t-case that close. That sure looked loose, by quite a bit. You would think that loose chain would have rubbed enough that metal flakes would have come out with the fluid. When you pull the back 1/2 case off, take pics of where the chain would rub.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never looked inside a t-case that close. That sure looked loose, by quite a bit. You would think that loose chain would have rubbed enough that metal flakes would have come out with the fluid. When you pull the back 1/2 case off, take pics of where the chain would rub.
It’s definitely a bit looser than the other transfer case I have spare. I’m going to try putting a new snap ring in and throwing some fluid in. Worth a shot

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only ones I ever had go bad were in old late 70's Blazer, Chain would skip if ya really got on it. Replaced few in the old trucks, Blazers, I remember on the old ones if ya lift up the carpet etc... The tranny hump on floor board un-bolted LOL. Those were some BIG A$$ T cases HEAVY LOL.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remember the pics.
Take pics YES !!!! In my late teens or about 20's I rebuilt a 400 Tranny NOT knowing what I was doing with all new B&M clutch packs etc... LOL... I had to get different snap ring tools etc... I took it all apart in a LOOOOOOG line across my older brothers 3 car garage floor, Had it ALL inline as it came apart, set all my new parts etc next to the old parts, then went in reverse putting it all back LOL, did lots of pics with old camera LOL....