1997 Chevy 1500 5.7L twin turbo setup suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therealmike

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forums and I'd like to ask you guys what you think for a twin turbo setup all that I would need and you would recommend I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.7l vortex I believe and I'd like to get twin turbo setup I was told two smaller turbos is preferable for more torque less turbo lag and less hp but for 4x4 you want more tq and that I would need a new intake manifold but what would you recommend for a setup ? Trying to keep this semi cheap

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome and bad news, it's not going to cheap if done right. You'll have to find headers, turbos, you'll want it to be intercooled, custom exhaust, intake, it'd be best to have the motor gone throu because trying to get alot of power from a stock motor is best way to kill it, and your trans. Not saying it can't be done just if you want it to run good it'll cost.
What is it that you use the truck for?

Therealmike

Reaction score
Welcome and bad news, it's not going to cheap if done right. You'll have to find headers, turbos, you'll want it to be intercooled, custom exhaust, intake, it'd be best to have the motor gone throu because trying to get alot of power from a stock motor is best way to kill it, and your trans. Not saying it can't be done just if you want it to run good it'll cost.
What is it that you use the truck for?
It's my daily driver and I go offroading/mudding during the winter the engine and trans were just fully rebuilt by a master mechanic about 1,500 miles ago just wanting more take off speed and torque

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock intake and injectors will only handle about 400 horsepower before they run out of breath. You're going to need to address that for sure. I personally would run a single smaller Turbo like the Borg Warner 369 or 366. Either would Supply you with plenty. You'll get lots of torque out of either one on the upper end but the only way to get torque on the bottom end is through building your engine. Like was previously mentioned you will need to address your exhaust and you're going to want some sort of an intercooler to get the best out of your system. Your stock computer is completely inadequate. You'll want to consider the 411. Either way custom tuning is involved whether you'd learn to do it yourself or have somebody else do it. Not trying to talk you out of it but it is a lot of work and it really can't be done cheap. Just out of curiosity where in Oregon are you at?

Therealmike

Reaction score
The stock intake and injectors will only handle about 400 horsepower before they run out of breath. You're going to need to address that for sure. I personally would run a single smaller Turbo like the Borg Warner 369 or 366. Either would Supply you with plenty. You'll get lots of torque out of either one on the upper end but the only way to get torque on the bottom end is through building your engine. Like was previously mentioned you will need to address your exhaust and you're going to want some sort of an intercooler to get the best out of your system. Your stock computer is completely inadequate. You'll want to consider the 411. Either way custom tuning is involved whether you'd learn to do it yourself or have somebody else do it. Not trying to talk you out of it but it is a lot of work and it really can't be done cheap. Just out of curiosity where in Oregon are you at?
Eugene area all I mean is semi cheap I don't want it to cost 10k I'll do some more research

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eugene area all I mean is semi cheap I don't want it to cost 10k I'll do some more research
Get a hold of Kyle at KBracing. He is in Oakland, OR about an hour south of you. He knows turbos. He builds turbo systems for late model gm trucks and suvs.
I could see you doing a budget set up for $4-6k.

Therealmike

Reaction score
Get a hold of Kyle at KBracing. He is in Oakland, OR about an hour south of you. He knows turbos. He builds turbo systems for late model gm trucks and suvs.
I could see you doing a budget set up for $4-6k.
Alright thanks for the info

labarrejr

Reaction score
For A 4X4 it might be better to go with a centrifugal supercharger like a Vortech unit or a pro charger. Not as efficient as a turbo, but you will not have to replace as many parts and you should pull a little more bottom end power.
Just recommending another option that might be a little friendlier to your bank account.

Therealmike

Reaction score
For A 4X4 it might be better to go with a centrifugal supercharger like a Vortech unit or a pro charger. Not as efficient as a turbo, but you will not have to replace as many parts and you should pull a little more bottom end power.
Just recommending another option that might be a little friendlier to your bank account.
Alright thanks I'll look into that to probably my best bet