1997 C1500 Cheyenne 15 gallon or 25 gallon fuel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fill up every week with my truck. I reset my trip odometer and at about 150 miles I am just about a line under a quarter tank. I have the typical GM Fuel gauge that moves around and isn't quite accurate. I thought these trucks had a 25 gallon fuel tank, and every week i fill up, it tops out at 15 gallons.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be 25 or 26 for a short wheelbase (I don't remember) but if you're having trouble filling up it may be an issue with the evap system. Vapors from the tank are directed to the evap canister for later combustion. If it isn't opening, the vapors will have no place to go as fuel is added, causing difficulties when fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
That's about normal. My old Tahoe had a 31 gallon tank, yet it seemed the most I'd usually put in there was 24 gallons when it was low. Then it also seemed it would take forever to go from full to half tank, then it would drop like an anchor after that. Any GM I've ever had, the gas gauge isn't really linear as far as level goes.

You are doing your fuel pump a favor by keeping more in the tank. Think about the tank shape, too. From a volume standpoint...If you poured a few gallons of water in a bath tub, you'll quickly see that it'll take a few just to get you a couple inches of depth.

You can always try going 200 miles. See how many gallons that gets you. I'd guess around 18 gallons. :driver: