1996 Suburban 454 Never Ending Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedChevy44

Reaction score
The starters for the Vortec 5.7 and 7.4 appear to be interchangeable according to some quick looking on Rock Auto.

Thanks for checking on that for me. I think it might be the plunger on my original starter since it wouldn't "click", but if everything else looks pretty worn it's probably not worth it

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have this same truck, when mine wouldnt start one day it turned out to be corroded wiring , there is a cable going from the batt + to the fuse junction near the master cyl going over the top ov the radiator , i could see the insulation near the terminal was distressed, got crimp on lugs at the ap store , cut the wire back a inch or so , stripped the insulation, and the copper cable was green and powder is falling out, cut back another inch, same, anothe inch, same, the whole cable was ruined, could not get a generic replacement at Vatozone long enough, went to home depot and got heavy gauge cable and made my own, problem solved, it has acted up once now, i suspect possibly a corroded groung cable will be the next one i replace

RedChevy44

Reaction score
i have this same truck, when mine wouldnt start one day it turned out to be corroded wiring , there is a cable going from the batt + to the fuse junction near the master cyl going over the top ov the radiator , i could see the insulation near the terminal was distressed, got crimp on lugs at the ap store , cut the wire back a inch or so , stripped the insulation, and the copper cable was green and powder is falling out, cut back another inch, same, anothe inch, same, the whole cable was ruined, could not get a generic replacement at Vatozone long enough, went to home depot and got heavy gauge cable and made my own, problem solved, it has acted up once now, i suspect possibly a corroded groung cable will be the next one i replace

I still haven't had anymore issues since replacing the starter and battery, but I'm going to check the battery cable anyways. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I solved a lot of problems on my truck by replacing the main ground cable from the battery. My truck came from BC, Canada where they heavily salt the roads in the winter and the corrosion has done some damage. I also added a ground cable that runs from the block to the frame for added measure. Most of the bare ground straps from the factory have turned green so I'm fixing them as I go along with coated cable left over from stereo installs of my youth. Another one that was a big issue for me was the ground back at the fuel sending unit. You couldnt tell where the wire ended and the bolt started. I cleaned it all up and drilled a new hole, added new hardware and wire.