96 Vortex 350 starting issues again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ranger550

Reaction score
Dirty distributor cap and rotor will make it hard to start. Even if its new n just sitts there corrosion will build up inside towers. The ignition module controls the spark. If spark plugs are copper they must be changed every 20-30k miles. Also a weak coil could cause hard start up.
Iridium spark plugs are the way to go. 60 to 100k miles is worth the extra money.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check ground from sender above tank. You say it runs fine, when it intermittently runs. Sounds familiar to what I just went through. Mine went through a start, no start until pump quit.
Unless your saying during a no start situation, it has correct fuel pressure.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
350 vortex
Vortec

I let it run to help charge the battery, just because I'd tried to start it everyday but nothing.
What is the battery voltage when cranking? What is the battery voltage with no load?

At idle it's showing 52 psi fuel pressure. Stomp the throttle and it sputters, but then revs and fuel pressure climbs to 60 psi.
The fuel pressure is SUPPOSED to increase when the manifold vacuum drops.

Is your gauge accurate? Have you ever tested the accuracy? What is the spec pressure for your vehicle?

I run a scan gage all the time, but it has no codes.
Use the scan tool to verify all the sensors and computer outputs. Codes can be useful, but the real power is in the data stream, and the bi-directional control.

Now, I can't trust this thing to drive it as I can't figure out what is the issue. I may go out there now and it might or might not start. Just a random question.
What is the fuel pressure during PRIMING?

If the module in the distributor was bad, would I get any spark at the plug?
Maybe. There's a dozen ways the ignition module can fail, and on a Vortec it's NOT located in the distributor. The only thing in a Vortec distributor aside from the mainshaft and rotor, is the cam position sensor.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, checking today it has no spark, at least on the #1 cylinder. Coil is firing to the distributor, but that's the only thing I know for sure. At some point in my issues I bought an Delphi Ignition Control Module. Kinda pricy, but I don't think that's the issue.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the coil is firing to the distributor cap, you've got problems with the cap, rotor, or #1 plug wire, or some combination.
Yep, thanks. It didn't sink in until after I posted this. Replaced the cap and rotor button and it runs! The "Premium" one that is bad probably hasn't been on it more than a year. Year and a half at the most. I replaced the wires at the same time with AC Delco units. I guess I need to start shopping for spark plugs as these are older ones. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2060306&cc=1033300&pt=7120&jsn=987 this is the one that went bad. Hopefully that was the only issue as far as that goes. I'll let it sit and see if it still starts tomorrow because previously, it might or might not. Thanks everyone for talking off the ledge. I have other pressing issues with my Astro van project that needs to get sorted out and this has been a thorn in my side.