1996 Suburban 454 Never Ending Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedChevy44

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1996 Suburban Vortec 454 that has had nothing but issues. I have spent more time wrenching on it than I have driving it. I put about 1300 miles on it right after I bought it and it ran fine. Then I let my relatives borrow it to go to California to pick up their mother and some furniture. They were towing a trailer up the pass between Baker and Las Vegas when they smelled something burning and looked down to see the carpet was smoldering. The engine was missing and they kept pushing it until they had the catalytic converter hot enough to start the carpet on fire (there is a heat shield between the floor and the cat, it must have been glowing red!). I put it on a trailer and towed it home. I had read about how the factory injectors were problematic and figured one of them must have stuck open. First thing I did was a compression test to make sure the engine was OK. All cylinders tested 140-150 PSI. My UOA had come back showing antifreeze in the oil (no surprise on a high mile vortec) so I planned on replacing the intake manifold gaskets while I was there. The next weekend I tore into it and replaced the intake gaskets, injectors (new Bosch injectors from Five-O Motorsports), new AC Delco fuel pressure regulator, new cap-rotor-wires-plugs (good parts, not "cheap" parts), and thermostat. The old fuel pressure regulator was leaking fuel out of it and the vacuum hose that connects it to the intake manifold was MIA. I put it all together and found that the PCV valve was missing so I bought a new one and installed it. I went to start it and it wouldn't start. The next weekend I started to diagnose it and found that it was blowing the ENG1 fuse. I thought that it was the wiring to the passenger side rear O2 sensor since all the insulation had melted off of the wires clear up to the cross member behind the transfercase. I cut out the bad section of wire and insulated the wire ends. It was still blowing the fuse. Finally found that the crank position sensor wires were missing insulation for about 2 inches behind the connector and we're touching each other and shorting out. I taped up the wires and ordered a repair pigtail. I started it up and it seemed to run fine. The next weekend I worked on the exhaust system. I replaced the passenger side cat, the drivers side was just fine.
You must be registered for see images attach
I also replaced the muffler since it apparently had a backfire that split the seam on it. I also replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors and the drivers side post-cat O2 (still haven't fixed the wiring). I also changed the fuel filter while I was under there. I test drove the suburban, and the longer it ran the worse it ran until it died and wouldn't restart. About a half hour later it restarted and did the same thing. The next weekend it wouldn't start at all. I had ordered an AC Delco crank position sensor so I installed it. It still wouldn't start and I found that there was no spark. I checked part numbers and found that the coil and ignition control module was the same one I have on my 350 Vortec. I swapped the ICM first and it started and ran. I test drove it and it ran without issues. 2 weeks later I take it out of town for Thanksgiving. It runs fine all the way there but then intermittently runs like crap for the next 2 days. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and found that it was at 50 instead of the specified 56-62. I ordered a Delphi fuel pump and installed it. I changed the fuel filter again. I had a hose hooked up to the test port and jumped the fuel pump relay. Fuel was barely dripping out. I had cleaned the ground for the new fuel pump when I installed it. I checked it anyways and it was a good ground. I checked voltage at the pump and it was 13.5 volts (I had a battery charger hooked up). I ran a separate ground and power wire straight to the pump but it didn't make a difference. I hooked it back up and pinched the return line to see if it made a difference and it made a little bit of a difference but then I must have blown an injector out of the rail because gas started running down the engine onto me. That was late last Saturday and I haven't had a chance to take the plenum back off and check it out. My question is why am I not getting the fuel I need? Do you think I got a bad FPR?

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you hooked a scanner to it yet? You've replaced a lot of important stuff which should put you on the right track. I would pull the plenum and look at your injectors. The P/O of my truck who replaced the injectors before I did them left Orings in the rail causing two of the injectors to pop out and spill fuel over the engine while we were towing a hill in 90+ degree weather. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire, however there have been times I wish it did...

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a hell of a rough start to owning a truck. I'm with Tom, there has to be an o-ring left down in there, or the injector wasn't seated properly if it is leaking up there.

Or, there is an o-ring that goes behind the FPR too, did you get that out? If you didn't, it is damn near impossible to get the c clip seated correctly and it will leak. And also not make the correct pressure.

RedChevy44

Reaction score
Have you hooked a scanner to it yet? You've replaced a lot of important stuff which should put you on the right track. I would pull the plenum and look at your injectors. The P/O of my truck who replaced the injectors before I did them left Orings in the rail causing two of the injectors to pop out and spill fuel over the engine while we were towing a hill in 90+ degree weather. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire, however there have been times I wish it did...

The only code I am getting is for my rear O2 sensor I am missing. I will check again Thursday night when I start to tear into it again.

That is a hell of a rough start to owning a truck. I'm with Tom, there has to be an o-ring left down in there, or the injector wasn't seated properly if it is leaking up there.

Or, there is an o-ring that goes behind the FPR too, did you get that out? If you didn't, it is damn near impossible to get the c clip seated correctly and it will leak. And also not make the correct pressure.

Haha, Yup tried the first time to put it in without pulling the center oring out. It didn't fit.

I bought a new injector rail since I busted off two of the plastic tabs the metal retainers hook onto. I think that it why the injector blew out of the rail. I also bought a Delphi FPR. I will be working on it Thursday night and I will provide an update with my findings.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Damn, Christian is right, that's one hell of a rough start to owning a truck; I got lucky with my old 454, it was owned by nothing but couple old people who pulled campers with it.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, Christian is right, that's one hell of a rough start to owning a truck; I got lucky with my old 454, it was owned by nothing but couple old people who pulled campers with it.

Same here but my old couple never fixed anything right...

RedChevy44

Reaction score
I have owned (and own) quite a few used vehicles, and I expect to have to do some work to them when I first buy them because I have a pretty high standard set for my vehicles, but I have never had one fight me this bad.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here. Seems like I fix two big things on my list and two small things come out of nowhere. I've fixed less than half of my original to do list because more pressing piddly crap creeps up

RedChevy44

Reaction score

#6 fuel injector was pushed out of the rail and leaking. Got the injectors and harness swapped over to the new rail tonight. Also got the FPR installed. Before I bolted the rail on I checked for flow coming out of the fuel line and there was plenty. It was getting pretty late so I stopped there. Tomorrow I will check the fuel pressure and if it tests good I will finish installing the upper plenum and wiring.

RedChevy44

Reaction score
Today I tested the fuel pressure. It was 58, which is in spec. I installed the plenum, hooked up the wiring, and turned the key. It fired up easy and sounded like it was idling better. I put about 15 miles on it today and it seems like it has a little more power than it did, which makes sense. My buddy spotted an issue which turned out to be worse than it originally looked. The nut that holds the master cylinder to the hydro boost on the right side was loose about 4 turns. I tightened it up and went to check the left side. I barely put any pressure on it and this happened
Now it's not even good for a core because someone couldn't properly tighten both nuts. :banghead:. Guess it's time to look for a GM hydro boost.