1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfury94

Reaction score
They make a special tool for removing the broken disconnect. Napa sells it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I ended up just getting a reconditioned lower intake off of eBay. So far, I only have the MPFI installed on it, but I have everything else removed from the old intake to put on. Before I do that, I just have a few questions.

1) How do I test the thermostat? I was told I should do that while I have it out. I heard put it in boiling water to see if it opens.

2) what is a good way to clean off the EGR? Is throttle body cleaner or engine degreaser okay?
You must be registered for see images

3) since it's a reconditioned intake, it looks like it's been painted. That being said, there is paint covering up some of the threads for the heater hose connector, anything I need to do for that, or can I just continue screwing the connector in?

I've probably said this a million times, but I'm really hoping to finish it up this weekend, haha. I'm going to work on it every chance I get, so my dad can put his car back in the garage.

Another little update, I painted the valve covers. I plan on doing a black, green, and yellow theme with the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I would clean the EGR with carb cleaner.

I would run the heater connector in there and see if it goes easily. If it's really hard, I'd, carefully, run a tap through it. It can most likely go in as is though.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would clean the EGR with carb cleaner.

I would run the heater connector in there and see if it goes easily. If it's really hard, I'd, carefully, run a tap through it. It can most likely go in as is though.

I'll pick up a can of carb cleaner tomorrow, then. And I started threading the connector, and it went in a bit, then stopped. I didn't want to damage the threads. I'll try again tomorrow

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I'll pick up a can of carb cleaner tomorrow, then. And I started threading the connector, and it went in a bit, then stopped. I didn't want to damage the threads. I'll try again tomorrow

If it's too difficult to thread, take it into work and ask one of the techs to chase those threads. Or let you borrow a tap.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's too difficult to thread, take it into work and ask one of the techs to chase those threads. Or let you borrow a tap.

Thank you, I'll bring it to school and work tomorrow to see if anyone will help. Didn't think of that, thank you

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Just remember, you're only trying to clean the threads, not cut new ones, so go slow and be gentle.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Used a tap on the intake at school, and it seemed to work pretty well. I didn't install the heater hose connector at school, but we did twist it in by hand to make sure it went it. Before I left, one of my teachers said that I probably only needed to thread it in to about halfway up the the threads. I get home, put a ratchet on it, and sure enough, it stopped at about where is said it should, but just to make sure:

Does this look like it's in enough?

I couldn't turn the ratchet any more, but I'm also using a pretty short ratchet.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coming along little by little. As mentioned before, I cleaned up the threads for the heater hose cleaned up, and installed the new connector, I put in s new thermostat, installed the old housing and sensor. I cleaned up the EGR a little bit, installed that on the new intake with the old gasket (for now). I'm going to see if any local places have the gasket, if not, I'll order it and install it later. I also have the mpfi installed. All of that being said, the lower intake is fully assembled. My goal is to install it tomorrow