1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mocked up the intake without the gaskets or rtv. I left my swivels at work, so I took it back off, and I'm probably done for the day. I was reading the instructions for the rtv, and it was saying to tighten everything within 5 minutes or something. But, it also says to do the bolts finger tight until you start to see the rtv come out the sides a bit, wait a minute or so, and tighten everything 1/4-1/2 a turn. Do you torque everything down when you do that?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Mocked up the intake without the gaskets or rtv. I left my swivels at work, so I took it back off, and I'm probably done for the day. I was reading the instructions for the rtv, and it was saying to tighten everything within 5 minutes or something. But, it also says to do the bolts finger tight until you start to see the rtv come out the sides a bit, wait a minute or so, and tighten everything 1/4-1/2 a turn. Do you torque everything down when you do that?

I honestly don't give it alot of thought lol. I give it a few minutes to "set up" then pop it on and torque it down.

You don't want to do it immediately, or when it's dry.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it took longer than the five minutes the bottle said, but I torqued down the manifold!

A few concerns, though.

1) I used kind of a sketchy torque wrench, so hopefully it's torqued well enough to hold.

2) the gasket is peaking out from under the manifold in some spots, but not in others. Is this a problem?

You can see it under the manifold a bit in the first and third picture, but not in the second. Any enlightenment on that?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
They are less than perfect. If you were building a show car, you'd go around and trim it so you couldn't see it, but not necessary on a truck.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't mind about seeing them, I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or not. I've never done gaskets before, haha. Thank you for all of your help

Would it be a problem if some bolts were a bit over torqued or anything? Of course I looked up the sequence, but as I said, the torque wrench was a. It sketchy for my liking, and I turned it past the click on some of them a couple times, because I wasn't aware of the clicking

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I don't mind about seeing them, I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or not. I've never done gaskets before, haha. Thank you for all of your help

Would it be a problem if some bolts were a bit over torqued or anything? Of course I looked up the sequence, but as I said, the torque wrench was a. It sketchy for my liking, and I turned it past the click on some of them a couple times, because I wasn't aware of the clicking

Within reason, no, it won't hurt a thing. You probably did a better, more thorough job than most do lol.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Within reason, no, it won't hurt a thing. You probably did a better, more thorough job than most do lol.

Well, I'm really nervous about this, haha. I've never done anything like this on a working engine before. So, I'm trying to be as careful as I can be.

I'm probably done for the night, I may throw the valve covers on, I'm not sure. The next thing I'm a bit nervous about is the distributor. I've never don't plugs before, and definitely haven't done a distributor before. I marked the rotor, the housing, and a point in the engine to line everything up, but I saw a video where the guy took a screw driver and adjusted something in the hole where the distributor went, I think it was for a sending unit or sensor. He made it sound like whatever it was had to be done so it would sit properly. I'll try and find what it was that he did and mention it here. But any one know what I could be talking about, and what exactly needs to be done about it?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Well, I'm really nervous about this, haha. I've never done anything like this on a working engine before. So, I'm trying to be as careful as I can be.

I'm probably done for the night, I may throw the valve covers on, I'm not sure. The next thing I'm a bit nervous about is the distributor. I've never don't plugs before, and definitely haven't done a distributor before. I marked the rotor, the housing, and a point in the engine to line everything up, but I saw a video where the guy took a screw driver and adjusted something in the hole where the distributor went, I think it was for a sending unit or sensor. He made it sound like whatever it was had to be done so it would sit properly. I'll try and find what it was that he did and mention it here. But any one know what I could be talking about, and what exactly needs to be done about it?

That thing would be the oil pump drive. It's basically a slot, you can stick a flathead down there and turn it so that the distributor will drop all the way down if it's not all line up right.

If you took your stock distributor out, and marked everything, and are putting it back in, it shouldn't make a difference.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I chaulked the oil pressure sending unit, but can't get the rotor to line up with it. I'm guessing I need to adjust the oils pump drive?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
If you're going to move the oil pump drive, then I would just start over on cylinder 1 at top dead center.