1996 350 Vortec Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Line the mark on your balancer up with the point on the timing cover. Have you moved the engine at all since you took the distributor out?

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe so, I've been nervous about the distributor thing since I heard I had to mess with it. So, I didn't do anything to the engine besides take parts off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Then it should drop back in the same place. You have to turn it counter clockwise from your mark because of the helix cut of the gear to get it to end up in the right place, but if you didn't rotate the engine, it should all fall back together.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How would you turn the engine, don't you need to put a wrench on the crank to do that?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
How would you turn the engine, don't you need to put a wrench on the crank to do that?

Or you could crank it with the starter, it should still roll over. But if you didn't do that, then the distributor should go right back in there.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I took the battery out, so that shouldn't happen, and I didn't turn it with a wrench. I'll try again in a bit, thank you

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Okay, I took the battery out, so that shouldn't happen, and I didn't turn it with a wrench. I'll try again in a bit, thank you

You're welcome, just remember, if it's 1 tooth off, it won't drop onto that oil pump drive properly, so it may take a few tries to get it right.

adray96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way to if accidentally turned the motor? It keeps dropping flush at the wrong spot

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Is there a way to if accidentally turned the motor? It keeps dropping flush at the wrong spot

No, I guess you can try turning the oil pump drive to get it where you need it, worst that will happen is you'll be finding Top Dead Center when it doesn't start anyway lol.