1995 K1500 sat for 13 years and counting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope this is under the right topic, only my second or third post. Happy to be a member though. After searching I couldn't find anything about a gmt400 having sat so long so I thought I would ask. I have the opportunity to either take parts from this truck or maybe (if it's worth it?) fix it up and flip it. It's a 5.7 350 Vortec that was confiscated from a man in 2002 and given to my family's business for him not making his payments to them. They literally Parked it in the yard and left it. I imagine everything worked flawlessly as the truck was only 7 years old at the time. Tires are almost not existent. It was parked in '02 and has been there since. If even its not worth it, I feel like it would be an interesting scenario to read about and learn something for me and others. So that's basically it. Do yall think I could get this bad boy up and running for some money or is it a waste of time? How and what all would be involved? I'm novice to engines. Preciate the read and time as always!

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck has 80K to 180K I will have updates and pictures tomorrow or this week.

Mercy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something that been sitting for that amount of time in a yard I'll be worried about the frame. But With out pictures it is hard for me to say if it's worth it or not. And If it's a 95 it doesn't have a vortec. :welcome: by the way

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
New fuel tank and fuel pump would probably get her running again if rats and what not had not eaten all the wiring off it. 95 is a TBI motor. If its a vortec, its a 96+

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Something that been sitting for that amount of time in a yard I'll be worried about the frame. But With out pictures it is hard for me to say if it's worth it or not. And If it's a 95 it doesn't have a vortec. :welcome: by the way

Northern Alabama... Dunno if I'd worry about that too much there.

New fuel tank and fuel pump would probably get her running again if rats and what not had not eaten all the wiring off it. 95 is a TBI motor. If its a vortec, its a 96+

x2. I've started things up that have sat for a really long time before. For some reason I love bringing old things like that back to life after they've sat forever. I bet it would fire right up with some fresh gas.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas in the tank is gonna be a bigger issue as far as running if the pump isn't toast it could be in a few minutes .. Gas isnt what it used to be years and years ago. Its crap now . I would try another route to see if it would fire up . maybe deactivate the pump some how and find another safe way to squirt some fresh gas in there to see if it fires up. Change oil and filter Better to have spent 20 bucks now than to fire one up full of sludge crap oil.Motors sell pretty darn high in my area so even if you part it out that is a chunk of profit right there.I have started up stuff sitting longer than this . As far as driving rubber lines should be inspected for leaks brake line should be looked at hard line inspected rubber replaced. brake pads and also tires.

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought mine after sitting for 5 years. Replaced the tires, brakes, fuel pump, cleaned out the fuel tank, charged the battery and it started right up. I have had little bugs since that I have had to take care of but for the most part is has been great. It was leaking coolant via the intake manifold gasket before it was parked so I replaced that shortly after getting it back on the road. While I had it apart I changed the distributor cap, plugs, plug wires, belt, pcv valve and a few other things. A couple cans of sea foam during the first couple of gas fill ups and it has been a great truck! Was fun getting it back on the road and really enjoy driving it.