1994 GMC K2500 light duty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
So as some of you may know, I recently acquired another '400 to add to my collection (including parts vehicles, I now have 5).

I'm still driving the '96 and plan to for the time being. This is just a fixer-upper project and I'm in no huge hurry to get it done.

1994 GMC K2500 light duty RCLB. For those of you who are unfamiliar with GM's somewhat erratic model naming policy, this is basically just a half ton (or, if you prefer, 1500) frame, front end, motor and transmission options with a 14-bolt semi floater (6-stud wheels) and HD back suspension. And of course GMC2500 badges on the door which are extremely important...
If there are any other differences I skipped, feel free to point them out. In later years (I believe 95+) they just called them 1500 with the RPO code F44 which stands for heavy duty or something like that. Kind of like a towing package, I guess.

5.0 TBI hooked up to an NV3500 5-speed, 8.25" front diff and 3.73s.
As far as I can tell it's just a bottom of the line work truck (SL model)

I didn't get many pics before I started taking it apart, but here's a little bit of progress
You must be registered for see images attach

The body is solid but it's been sitting for awhile and the bottom sides of the box are rusted out, as are the cab corners. Otherwise it's in amazingly good condition. Cab and box floor are solid and still painted, the frame is covered in surface rust but is in excellent shape, and best of all the factory grey interior is near perfect with the exception of a rip in the bench seat and the fuse box cover has a broken tab. Needs a cleaning and that's about it.

So I pulled the box and started cleaning up the frame:

Finally, a standard '400!

A lot of people dislike the location of the cupholders. Well I'm tall with long arms and think they are perfect.

I'd also like to point out I've never been near one of these trucks that had doors close as nice as these. Push them with your pinky finger and they click shut with a nice sound. Just like a brand new truck. I love it.

And this will save a lot of work, thanks GM!

Now, the bad:
Other than the bodywork said above (and obviously a paintjob afterwards), the transmission has a nasty knock, it needed brake and fuel lines (already done), the sending unit was shot (replaced), needs exhaust work, and the motor needs a full tuneup (though it runs pretty well). Other than that, it's just minor stuff like a few lights not working and cosmetic stuff (at least, as far as I know). It could also use a set of tires.

After all the important stuff is fixed I'd like to find some sawblade aluminums with 96+ centre caps and a set of 285s. Probably going to need some more power as going from a Vortec 5.7 to a TBI 5.0 is really, really hard to get used to. The power difference is huge.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the paint color! And the interior is immaculate! I've never cared for the 88-94 interior but I can't say I've ever seen one that was that clean or in gray. Very cool. I'm definitely gonna keep tabs on my conservative friend's project.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I love the paint color! And the interior is immaculate! I've never cared for the 88-94 interior but I can't say I've ever seen one that was that clean or in gray. Very cool. I'm definitely gonna keep tabs on my conservative friend's project.

Thanks man! Similar to your colour. The truck had a body job done sometime in it's past and the paint isn't in bad shape.

I prefer the looks of the 95+ interior but the plain utilitarian look of the 88-94 appeals to me, too. And IMO they were designed to last a lot longer. Much more rugged feeling.

The radio HAS to go though. I can't get used to it.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! Similar to your colour. The truck had a body job done sometime in it's past and the paint isn't in bad shape.

I prefer the looks of the 95+ interior but the plain utilitarian look of the 88-94 appeals to me, too. And IMO they were designed to last a lot longer. Much more rugged feeling.

The radio HAS to go though. I can't get used to it.

Perhaps that's why I love the colo(u)r. :rolleyes:

The 88-94 dash was also made to accommodate aftermarket switches, better than the 95+ IMO. The rectangles under the headlamp switch and the HVAC in 88-94 dashes are PERFECT for toggle or rocker switches.

Oh my goodness! I've NEVER seen an 88-94 that had just the original radio in it. Every single one I've ever been inside or looked in the window of has the adapter panel for a single DIN headunit that goes right in the middle of the dash (where you have a cubby). I know a guy who has completely restored his '92 SCSS to 99% stock. That 1% being the radio and rims. Sometimes I think the 88-94's were made to immediately have a radio swap. lol

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Looks like a great truck to fix up!

Looks pretty nice

Thanks

The 88-94 dash was also made to accommodate aftermarket switches, better than the 95+ IMO. The rectangles under the headlamp switch and the HVAC in 88-94 dashes are PERFECT for toggle or rocker switches.

Agreed. There are more OEM switches for 95+ though which I do prefer. However plain jane toggle switches you buy at NAPA or wherever seem to blend into the older dash way better than the new

Oh my goodness! I've NEVER seen an 88-94 that had just the original radio in it. Every single one I've ever been inside or looked in the window of has the adapter panel for a single DIN headunit that goes right in the middle of the dash (where you have a cubby). I know a guy who has completely restored his '92 SCSS to 99% stock. That 1% being the radio and rims. Sometimes I think the 88-94's were made to immediately have a radio swap. lol

It's kind of cool and nostalgic, but not a very good radio. I'll probably keep it for now but if/when I'm DDing the truck, I think it will go.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Keep the sealed beam headlights. I actually love those on the 2500 RCLB 4x4's!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Keep the sealed beam headlights. I actually love those on the 2500 RCLB 4x4's!

I haven't decided yet. I kind of like the simple look but there is absolutely no question they are inferior in function to the composite style. Very difficult to see anything at night, and Moose and Deer are very thick in these parts.
However in my mind it's a bandwagon type thing to swap grilles and I don't like being like everyone else.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
get a nice set of quality driving lights to aid the sealed beams on those roads.