1994 GMC K2500 light duty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I've done very little to the truck as fishing season is well underway and I've had little spare time. However, being realistic and knowing that winter here in the lovely great white north is about 15 minutes away, I should probably get to work on this truck since I don't have anywhere inside to work on it when there is a metre of snow on the ground.

Pretty much my biggest hurdle is getting the frame cleaned up and painted. It's a painstakingly slow task but I'm getting it done. I just pick a section of frame maybe half a metre at a time and start cleaning. Once I've got that done, it gets primed (with whatever colour I have available), and then black paint. Right now it's all over the place, but it's coming together. After I get the back done the box will go back on so I can concentrate on bodywork and the front half of the frame.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once I do that the critical areas (where these frames are known to rust out) are getting a good dose of oil, and then I hope that I won't have to deal with it again for a very long time (other than annual undercoating).

Transmission is next on the list, followed by exhaust and tires, and after that I'm pretty much into minor little repairs. The plan is to have this baby rolling and my daily driver by the end of the fall, but I don't know how realistic that is. Time will tell.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I would guess it's been 10+ years since this truck was undercoated, but whatever was put on is good stuff. There's traces of it here and there and after scraping it off with a screwdriver and brake cleaner it's clean, shiny metal. A very, very rare sight in the east...even though there's only a few square centimetres of it here and there on this particular truck :rofl:

Closer view:

I pulled the gas tank to clean up the frame to the inside of it, which is where these trucks seem to rust out most often here (combination of all the brake/fuel lines and wires trapping mud/dirt/salty slush in there and the fact that it's very difficult to clean with the tank in the way).

This frame at its worst. I think I caught it just in time as it's still solid but it is getting very crusty in here

Going to replace the tank as well, since she's getting a little rough

Another day or two of clean up and the box should be ready to go back on. Then it will need bodywork (but only on the sides which can be done when it's on the truck just as easily as off), and I can move on to other issues.

Slow but steady...

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Little bit a progress is always progress! Looks good man. Have fun with the 5.0/nv3500 combo... :lol:
Pure power house! :)

And what're ya fishing? Tuna?

:lol: I hear ya. I drove this truck around a bit (though it's not the first of it's kind I've driven), and compared to my 5.7 Vortec/4L80E with 4.10s it's..."interesting"
My blue truck is slow enough...I'm curious to see how I adapt to everyday life with this one...

At the moment, Eels (inland). Did Gaspereau for the first time this spring and have done the lobster fishing grind a couple winters which was about enough...
:lol:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Pulled the diff cover to replace it, change fluid and give it a quick inspection. Looking it over everything appears to be fine with no shaving/chunks of metal or broken teeth.

Open 14 bolt semi-floater guts. Simple rear end to work on, pretty much the same as a 10 bolt only bigger.

The best sure-fire way to confirm your gear ratio. See the numbers 11 41 printed on the ring gear? 41/11 = 3.7272 (they round up to call it 3.73). 41 ring gear teeth, 11 pinion teeth

Painting up a replacement cover and going to throw in some Valvoline 80w90 and call 'er good

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
:lol: I hear ya. I drove this truck around a bit (though it's not the first of it's kind I've driven), and compared to my 5.7 Vortec/4L80E with 4.10s it's..."interesting"
My blue truck is slow enough...I'm curious to see how I adapt to everyday life with this one...

At the moment, Eels (inland). Did Gaspereau for the first time this spring and have done the lobster fishing grind a couple winters which was about enough...
:lol:

Gaspereau? I hear the lobster grind isn't much fun! Good pay?
Eels! My old man once had a job dealing with slime eel goop.. All I remember is he had to pick up big balls of this ****, and slam it into the nearest piling. He tossed one ball, ralphed his guts out on the rocks and got outta there. LMFAO.
I'm assuming your harvesting them though?

All I can say about my 94 is - guzzle guzzle, lol. Foot was 3/4 into more often than not, sucked it back pretty good.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Gaspereau? I hear the lobster grind isn't much fun! Good pay?
Eels! My old man once had a job dealing with slime eel goop.. All I remember is he had to pick up big balls of this ****, and slam it into the nearest piling. He tossed one ball, ralphed his guts out on the rocks and got outta there. LMFAO.
I'm assuming your harvesting them though?

All I can say about my 94 is - guzzle guzzle, lol. Foot was 3/4 into more often than not, sucked it back pretty good.

Gaspereau are also known as "Aylewives" depending where you live. Closely related to and closely resemble Herring, we catch them in inland waters. Good job, lots of coiling rope, tying knots, hauling rope, learning new knots, untying knots...

Lobstering was by far the most miserable job I've ever had when the weather was bad. "It's a good strong days work just staying on your feet" captain said. He was right. Then hauling 200+ traps at 80 lbs a piece for 15 or 20 hours...not fun lol. Pay was fantastic, most I've ever made in that amount of time.

Yes, we harvest Eels live and they are picked up by a buyer on a specialized truck that takes them (again, live) to the plant. Then they are (I believe) flash frozen and shipped overseas (China, mainly). But that's not our business, we just fish them. Eel slime isn't too bad, but dead Eel is one of the worst smells I've ever experienced (not bragging but I know my bad smells...well acquainted with just about every kind of rotten fish lol). I've thought about puking before lol.

Yeah, I think some power upgrades may be in order...

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score

Just to prove I'm still working on it.

Downloaded a complete NV3500 rebuild guide too. Just sayin'.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Still can't find a transmission, eh? I'm still on the lookout for ya...

Thanks man. Still looking but just about ready to give up. I'm thinking pretty strongly about taking this one apart to see what I find.