1994 GMC K1500 Speedometer Problems - Help??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, definitely, absolutely, have the first one. And as I said, there are two or three in the junkyard that appear identical, yet the factory year decals on the doors say they are newer than 1994. I literally removed the lens from one of them, and installed it on mine.

So, is it that if it is the same externally, it will work, or could there be internal and/or electronic differences?

Thank you so much for the pics and the help!

Vettepilot

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not doubting u but it’s impossible for the lense to swap. They are made completely different. Unless flipping it 180° the odometer trip reset line up. But as far as I know one is roundish one is squarish

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, no, I'm telling ya, this lens fit perfect, and both the later model donor truck and my truck have the square lens with the half round, NOT oval bottom.

My truck is identical to the first pic you posted, as is the one in the junkyard. I have a new card printed up that shows year model via VIN. I will take that to the junkyard next time to verify years, but those door decals indicated all of the trucks are newer than mine, even though they have the same, square cluster.

So the question remains; if the clusters ARE physically the same, are they inter-changeable??

Thanks,
Vettepilot

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its impossible.
The 92-94 is a 26 pin cluster.
The 95-98 is a 32 pin cluster.

TAKE PICTURES next time your there. Otherwise its we say / u say…

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just download the factory service manuals and compare the pinouts, that'll tell you what is directly compatible.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just download the factory service manuals and compare the pinouts, that'll tell you what is directly compatible.
i even did the leg work prior (when i was cluster shopping) so i know there completey different.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres the 92-94 pinout, and 95-98 pinout. As u can see here as well they wont interchangeable

Attachments

• IMG_0615.png
    IMG_0615.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0614.png
    IMG_0614.png
    477.1 KB · Views: 3

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm.. I generally don't take a camera with me to the junkyard, (I use a small flip phone and don't even own a smartphone), but I'll see what I can do.

I could provide pics of my dash here plus the old lens I replace if you want...

And please don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing nor doubting you; just trying to figure this out. I went to the junkyard to buy that other cluster, but bailed when I saw the year of the truck. Figured I better go do more research before buying something not returnable. But again, that one had the lens that now lives on mine.

Vettepilot

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm.. I generally don't take a camera with me to the junkyard, (I use a small flip phone and don't even own a smartphone), but I'll see what I can do.

I could provide pics of my dash here plus the old lens I replace if you want...

And please don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing nor doubting you; just trying to figure this out. I went to the junkyard to buy that other cluster, but bailed when I saw the year of the truck. Figured I better go do more research before buying something not returnable. But again, that one had the lens that now lives on mine.

Vettepilot
I gocha. No biggie. Yea if u had a camera phone it would be helpful. But understandable!! We wil get it sorted out

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'88-91 lens will swap with the '92-94 except that the odometer reset is positioned differently. My odometer reset is broke off on WCJr, so it has a '92-94 lens on it.

You must be registered for see images attach