Speedometer inaccurate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I did a search for similar issues and found several but not a fix. I have a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.7 2WD and my speedometer reads 15 to 20 miles higher than actual speed with a scanner I read live data and the computer is seeing the correct speed from the VSS. I had the instrument cluster checked and was told the speedometer is accurate, could the problem be the computer? The wiring schematic shows the computer sending the signal to the instrument cluster.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
They replaced the printed circuit board in the cluster just in case it was an intermittent problem and repaired my erratic oil pressure indication so I tend to believe them. I'm thinking about ordering an exchange vehicle control module.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my speedometer reads 15 to 20 miles higher than actual speed with a scanner I read live data and the computer is seeing the correct speed from the VSS
This is also saying scanner is correct to gps or radar and dash isn't?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm..Not familiar with the 96.... If it were my 93, I'd say for sure it was the speedo...
Looking quick yours also has a vehicle speed sensor calibrator module...whatever that is....
is that what you were referring to?

Here's where I found the 96 manuals...

Attachments

• 96 vcm.jpg
    96 vcm.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 7

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Looking at the wiring schematic on Prodemand I don't see that my truck has a speed sensor calibrator module.

Attachments

• 96.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at the wiring schematic on Prodemand I don't see that my truck has a speed sensor calibrator module.
Not sure... Maybe that is the Vehicle control module you speak of? There's supposed to be a vcm section 8A 20-24 in the one of the 2 linked manuals but of course it's missing for some reason. But it seems like it's the one vcm you speak of. Really don't know without digging more...Maybe I missed it...

Looks like there is a black/white engine ground wire on it (circuit 451)...Guess you make sure it has a good ground to block...

Last edited: