SPEEDOMETER intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the VSS troubleshooting procedures from the '89 Service manual. See if this info will help in your search

Attachments

• DSCN0779.JPG
    DSCN0779.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0780.JPG
    DSCN0780.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0781.JPG
    DSCN0781.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 4

motorhead327

Reaction score
After two after market vehicle speed sensors, I am back to the OEM. I got one VSS from O'Reilly which buzzed and whined I took it out and filed down the pickup so it would quit buzzing. My speedo problem persisted, I bought another VSS from NAPA. Took out the O'Reilly one and the two pickups were missing. Put in the NAPA one; it buzzed and whined too. Next day noticed what looked like trans fluid in a parking space I pulled out of. Got home and sure enough it was leaking. It had backed out past the O-ring and I knew for sure I had tapped it against the housing shoulder for a good, square seal. See pics. Furious, I am now running around with the OEM one in. Speedo still does as before; intermittent function, but no leaking, no buzzing. The OEM one has "dished out" pickups. See pics.
The factory service manual has some goofy instruction to check the VSS by jacking rear wheels and running truck in gear and the "scan tool" should read the MPH and match the speedo. Except the OBD1 scan tool only flashes codes using the check engine light....IT HAS NO READOUT SCREEN . It did correctly give me a 24 code, "VSS -open or short problems or park/neutral switch circuit problem. Well, no ****.

Attachments

• VSS1.jpg
    VSS1.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 5
  • VSS2.jpg
    VSS2.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 5
  • VSS3.jpg
    VSS3.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 6
  • VSS4.jpg
    VSS4.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 5
  • VSS5.jpg
    VSS5.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 6

motorhead327

Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

• VSS6.jpg
    VSS6.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 4
  • VSS7.jpg
    VSS7.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 4
  • VSS8.jpg
    VSS8.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 4
  • VSS9.jpg
    VSS9.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 4
  • VSS10.jpg
    VSS10.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 4

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my '89 Sierra. I think the plastic that holds the plug in place has flexed back causing a loose connection. I plan to pull it apart and get it fixed during the summer.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After two after market vehicle speed sensors, I am back to the OEM. I got one VSS from O'Reilly which buzzed and whined I took it out and filed down the pickup so it would quit buzzing. My speedo problem persisted
I wonder if those replacement sensors aren't correct. Here's one from my '88. It looks just like the OE one.
You must be registered for see images attach

It had backed out past the O-ring and I knew for sure I had tapped it against the housing shoulder for a good, square seal. See pics.
IDK how that can happen with the retainer tab bolted in place. I had to bend mine a little to get it positioned properly but, it works.

Except the OBD1 scan tool only flashes codes using the check engine light....IT HAS NO READOUT SCREEN . It did correctly give me a 24 code,
Get a real scan tool, not a code reader. Here's an example using a laptop but, you can get a used Snap On "Red Brick" online pretty cheap.
You must be registered for see images attach

HTH