SPEEDOMETER intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motorhead327

Reaction score
This may be way out in left field, but how much play is in the output shaft of the transmission?
Hi Lee, yes, talked to a trans rebuilder and he asked about that. Said i'd have to drop the drive shaft to really check it the right way. May just bring it in to him as I'm getting too old to crawl under cars and trucks. I have a replacement circuit board for behind the dash on order. Only $75....lets see what that does. More later.....
BTW I know these replacement VSS are ****....my OEM is back installed and no leaking, buzzing, pushing out past the o ring...if I need to take it out again, I will do some measurements and let everyone know what I find out.

motorhead327

Reaction score
I wonder if those replacement sensors aren't correct. Here's one from my '88. It looks just like the OE one.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDK how that can happen with the retainer tab bolted in place. I had to bend mine a little to get it positioned properly but, it works.

Get a real scan tool, not a code reader. Here's an example using a laptop but, you can get a used Snap On "Red Brick" online pretty cheap.

HTH
OMG this is what I need!! What do you have that I can get this sort of readout on my laptop??

motorhead327

Reaction score
I wonder if those replacement sensors aren't correct. Here's one from my '88. It looks just like the OE one.

IDK how that can happen with the retainer tab bolted in place. I had to bend mine a little to get it positioned properly but, it works.

Get a real scan tool, not a code reader. Here's an example using a laptop but, you can get a used Snap On "Red Brick" online pretty cheap.

HTH
>>>>I wonder if those replacement sensors aren't correct. Here's one from my '88. It looks just like the OE one.<<<<<
Looks like its new and not been installed yet. If you haven't put it in yet, I bet it will buzz and whine and it is eventually going to back out.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG this is what I need!! What do you have that I can get this sort of readout on my laptop??
That screenshot is from the EBL Flash-II What's Up Display but, if you don't wanna upgrade to that, you can get TunerPro RT and get a screen like this...

And data logs like this...

Looks like its new and not been installed yet. If you haven't put it in yet, I bet it will buzz and whine and it is eventually going to back out.
Yeah, it was new - about a year ago, with no issues with sound or leaks :waytogo:

motorhead327

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS...I believe after 9 months of off and on troubleshooting I have fixed my speedo problem. Talked with lots of professional mechanics, online and in person and a few said my truck's year was known for problems with the circuit board behind the gauges and while I was obsessed with the VSS I found a good replacement online for the circuit board for only $75 and ordered it. Meanwhile while driving yesterday the speedo decided to work, and since I had the panel put together without the gauges mask or clear cover, I could touch the gauges and as I pressed the gauge at the 80 mph area, the speedo dropped out. Stopped pressing and it came back up. OK this is a game changer. Then my replacement circuit board came, put it in and presto! Speedo fixed. And I have the original VSS installed so it wasn't that. But I have a trans rebuilder looking into why the replacement VSS were hitting the collector inside the tailshaft housing. I think I have a 700r trans and maybe they gave me VSS for TH350? I don't know it they are supposed to be different but you guys out there probably do. Thanks again everybody for your help especially Lee.....

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're quite welcome. Glad you got it sorted. When I was in the trade, the hardest problems to diagnose were the easiest ones to fix