1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Aftermarket EFI setup would run about $2k.

I'm probably being overcritical of it... remember i've only had 454's and 6.5's. I've had a TBI 350 and have driven many 5.7 Vortec work vans over the years. It has power it just has to work pretty hard to do it.

I'll live with it, in fact I drove it again tonight and I think I was overcritical. Its plenty strong enough...down the road I still might start saving for a 6bt Cummins to mess around with. But thats more of a 5 year plan.. lol

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
After driving around, i think i'm going to keep an eye out for a red bench seat in good condition. The rear buckets are cool, but i don't want to put another console back there and it just leaves an awkward void.. (Only reason i got rid of my last bench seat was because it was garbage.)

These bucket seats have good value, so I will definitely part with them if I can find a good condition bench seat.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Didn't really like the look of this, but added a Autometer Tach. Adding a factory tach would be a major project and I'm not good enough with electronics to make a factory tach cluster work, it would take some major wiring and modification under the dash. I'm sure its possible, but its a little more of a project than I want to take on. Tried to find a gauge that would match the stock as close as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

There was quite a few places I could've added this but I really didn't like any of them. I just mounted it down on the dash by the trans controller so it would remain out of the way.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Down the road I think I'm going to convert this carb'd 350 into a fuel injected throttle body. Just to improve MPG's. I'm very happy with the carb's power, but it definitely lacks in the fuel efficiency department. I've heard good things about FiTech's Fuel Injection systems and they are simple to install standalone units. Overall i'm very happy with the truck/motor. It works great for what I use it for.

So I've spent the last month or so trying to manage having two identical trucks only one year apart. The 93 is a family truck and isn't going anywhere. This 94 has been "Frankensteined" and will not realistically sell. I originally planned on doing a SAS on the red truck, and even found a Dana 60 for it. Did a lot of research and just determined that the SAS wasn't the route I wanted to go. I don't want the lift, don't need the lift, and don't want big tires, so I'm going to go another direction.

I already have a 4WD trans/transfer case out of a 93 6.5 diesel that I parted out years ago... I have the 4WD shift linkage from my old 88. I think I'm just going to leave this red truck alone and find a CCSB or CCLB frame for the white truck when I restore it. Would love to find a CCSB frame but that will be difficult. The CCSB frame would give me a better turning radius, and a more realistic truck to take on trips given its smaller nature.

As you can see its rough, needs a new bed anyways... Interior is in great shape and the truck overall is a great candidate for a restoration. It has a 4:10 gear ratio however I would not be opposed to finding a chassis with a 3:73 ratio and then adjusting the speedometer accordingly. If I find a CCLB frame instead of a CCSB frame, so be it. But I'm definitely looking for a CCSB frame first.

Even know the red truck is far nicer, this will always be my favorite truck, therefore it will get the best of the best...not sure on paint yet, I love the factory two tones but if I stick with white, I wont need to paint the inside of the doors or the firewall/rear of the cab. The interior is in great shape, and is an original "Silverado" interior with power windows and power locks. Much nicer than the other which has w/t door panels with crank windows.

I think this will end up being my "dream truck build" despite me claiming that on this 94 that I just finished.. I always loved the red trucks, ever since I saw them at the GM dealer as a kid, I've owned a red ECLB and a red CCLB, and my black 88 RCLB 4x4. Now that I've pretty much tried out every cab/engine combination, a K2500 CCSB 4WD 6.5 diesel with the 88-94 interior is the "GMT400 HOLY GRAIL" in my eyes..

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm hearing. I may just end up trying to find a K3500 4WD CCLB frame and shorten that since they are easier to come across..

I'll find the chassis, shorten it, drop the entire 4WD drivetrain in there, set the bed on there, then remove the cab/wiring/engine from the 2WD frame onto the 4WD frame. Sounds like a better option. Wheelbase needs to be shortened from 168.5" to 154.5."

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Why do you want a 2WD?

I actually like 2WD trucks, less maintenance, and I think the transmissions live a longer life. The only reason i want to swap this one to 4x4 is because I have two trucks that are both 2WD and make winter driving interesting.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So continuing to make progress on "finishing" this project, although I don't know if you can ever call a project "finished."

The exhaust was done at a local shop for $197. (True duals with same side exit) I didn't have them put tips on because i wanted to do something different. On my 97 i went through 3 sets of tips before I sold it. Chrome tips always seem to rust on me. (probably because I never ran mud flaps on my last truck allowing them to get constantly pelted with water, mud, and snow. Additionally I also had issues with the entire exhaust rusting out in general due to the same reasons. To solve this I'm kind of killing two birds with one stone by using hi-temp black paint to coat the exhaust, and Black rolled exhaust tips. Now I don't have pictures of the exhaust painted yet, (still have to cut back the exhaust), but here are the tips I have picked out.

Also, after only running the dual bucket seats for a couple months, I found someone that had a bench seat in the mint condition I was after. Long story short, I worked out a deal for the bench. I didn't like the look of dual consoles, and honestly the former extended cab seat rattled a little due bit due to wear of the flip forward mechanism.. (You extended cab guys know what I'm talking about) Probably could've been fixed, but the Drivers arm rest was also starting to go, and it was just easier to replace them with what I originally wanted. A good quality bench since my last was coming apart.

Before:

After:

While buckets look unique and one of a kind, the bench just works better and is more practical. On the way to trade the seats, i stopped and got a few pictures.

As of right now all that I need is to put some rubber mudflaps on to help protect the rockers and need to put the tips on. The exhaust has since been painted with hi-temp flat black. Also need to have a windshield tint strip put on and then the truck is completed per my original vision. I also plan to replace the Edelbrock carb with a Fi-Tech fuel injection system to improve fuel mileage and to maximize performance.

Potential Future Plans Include: (still considering)

Spray in Bed Liner
Fold up and removable tonneau cover
Clear headlights with 6k HID's
Smoked Corner Lenses (didn't like the clear)
New Cab Light Lenses
Sleek/Slim LED Fog lights below front bumper
Put PY0's and stock size 245/75R/16E's back on. (reduce accelerated front end component wear from larger size tires)

I've put quite a few miles on this truck the last couple weekends. Really looking forward to starting the next project. Although realistically I will probably wait until the white truck dies (ether engine or transmission failure) before I get a chance to re-do it. I'll have to sit tight and wait until I can find a good deal on a K3500 frame. I left the brake/fuel lines on this truck since it was a rust free southern truck. On the next project I'm going to want everything new. So it will be a longer/more drawn out build. Also need to spend some money on non-related vehicle items so for now, I'll enjoy these two trucks as is. (For now)

Last edited: