1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that sucks. Unfortunately it's still probably going to end up on the motor just because that's the only parts motor I've got.

It definitely gives me something to be aware of though. Thanks for the information.
When they crack you start chewing up belts pretty quickly.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay, i'll have to keep an eye out and see if I can't find any later model trucks with updated pulley systems. Shouldn't be too hard to find, most importantly will be time and good weather to get out and pull them.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So this weekend this happened.....

Everything got buttoned up and thanks to the help of my dad, the motor got dropped in. Now time to start bolting everything up, hooking everything up, and then obviously re-configuring the fuel system to work with the SBC. Motor mount bolts, and bellhousing bolts are in. Just gotta bolt up the torque converter and start adding the rest as I get time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Unfortunatly even once the truck runs, it will still need an exhaust system, an alignment, re-configuration of the trans module, a new battery,and then up to date plates/insurance. So it may be a little while before it actually hits the road but overall getting it running/driving is the most important part.

Last edited:

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Truck is looking awesome! Always been super jealous of your wheel and tire setup. I thinknit looks perfect!. Still trying to find the perfect combo for mine. Looking forward to seeing it run again!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
mSo the interesting part... running the fuel pump off the original harness.

The diesel tank has an in tank fuel sender which uses 3 wires. 2 sender wires (Purple/BlkWht) and a ground. The diesel lift pump underneath the drivers door uses two wires (tan/black) to run the lift pump, which is ran off the OPS circuit. (Tan=Power, Black=Ground)

The gas in tank fuel pump uses 4 wires, (purple/blkwht/grey) and a ground. Purple/BlkWht run the fuel sender, and the grey powers the lift pump.

I was able to find the female end of the fuel pump harness off of a junked 88 GMT400 truck.

I made an extension cable that plugs into the lift pump socket, and extends two wires (power/ground) to the rear of the truck where the new in tank fuel pump will go. The lift pump will be replaced with a factory replacement fuel filter for a 94 gas truck.

Below is the socket for the fuel pump. which I combined with the original diesel sender harness and my custom harness. (which plugs into the lift pump circuit which runs off the OPS) The wiring at the tank will now plug directly into the fuel pump without any wiring modifications making it significantly easier to replace down the road.

Also the fuel pump runs off the OPS as the original trucks did, for safety reasons.

I'm currently working on making a parts guide/owners manual for this truck, so anyone will be able to work on it/service it down the road. That way should the fuel pump need replaced, you'll just give the parts store representative the year make and model for a gas truck and the pump will be a direct replacement without any modification. The fuel system has essentially been converted to a gas truck, so really the only difference is you use a gas fuel pump/filter. everything else (except maybe the radiator) stays true to the diesel truck. The carb is a very simple set up with hardly any unique parts.

I really want to make sure I'm not the only one who will know how to work on it. That's my biggest beef with conversions sometimes. People build something that only they know how to work on.. This truck will use all the same replacement parts as a typical gas truck and won't require special work. The carb will sacrifice a little MPG and reliability but is fairly self explanatory and won't require any hacks of the original harness.

I doubt anyone would ever want to buy this truck, (I myself would never buy a conversion off someone else) but it really keeps it simple. I also have the flexibility to Cummins/454 or do another swap on the truck down the road with very little modification should I ever want to do so. I'm keeping the dual batteries and would just need to unplug the lift pump extension, and put the factory 6.5 fuel sender/lift pump back in.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Pulleys found there way on. Best part of this swap, everything is the same... pretty simple swap. Main reason the 350 found its way in there instead of Cummins/LS/Duramax/EFI. Just plain simple swap.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Continuing to make progress, everything is pretty much done except....(Waiting on parts)

Install Fuel Lines
Run Power to Distributor
Wire Electric Choke
Rewire TPS Sensor
Install Throttle Bracket
Find Fan
Find Upper Fan Shroud
Drain/Clean/Reinstall Fuel Tank
Re-Tune Trans Controller
Tach Gauge
Exhaust

Got the MSD wires installed, they worked great, top notch quality as expected. Next came the Carb. Not the most popular decision, but even wiring up a TBI setup would've been a major wiring overhaul. If i was to do anything other than a carb it would be a 6BT cummins. Maybe down the road. I really don't like all of the wiring that comes with LS/Duramax Swaps.

As far as conversions, even the simplest like this one....they can nickel and dime you to death! The radiator ends were too large for the 350 hoses, couldn't find any adapters to make it work.. so had to buy a new radiator, which means new fan shroud. Whatever, not a big deal, new radiator = less trouble down the road.

With all these new parts, I should definitely get a long life out of this truck. Depending on how the carb'd motor does on a day to day basis, i may end up daily driving it. Not sure how daily driving with the carb motor would work out... Definitely a dinosaur,but i knew this going in. Like i said before, i chose simplicity over other alternatives. I really wish the 6.5's weren't so problematic and cheaper to rebuild. If that was the case i would've kept the 6.5. Just didn't want to shell out 5k to rebuild a 6.5. Couldn't find any good, reasonably priced mech injected 6.5's after about a year and a half of looking.

Realistically if this motor doesn't cut it, (for whatever reason) i can take my time (since the truck will run/drive) and find a cummins and rebuild it to my likings, then throw the diesel radiator and an Air Dog lift pump in, and go the Cummins route. We'll see. For now, its an old school smallblock. I currently have a 6.5 i'm daily driving now anyways.

Everything put back together. Well (almost)

To be continued....

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Welp. The CCLB is practically done, just waiting on fuel lines and a properly angled water neck. Then i can try and fire it up. The bed is filled with boxes from this project, need to find a place to recycle them lol. Truck also very badly needs a complete detail that will probably happen once summer weather arrives.

Working on my next project. Not sure what i'm doing with it yet, but its just something i've had in mind for quite a while. Slight modification from my 97's GMC grille. Going to have to find a black 94-99 GMC grill insert, already have clear corners.

This grill definitely isn't going on the white truck as i like the look of it "stock" on PY0's.

Then the old motors get hauled off to storage. The 5.7 is a good rebuild candidate and the 6.5 will get broken down, stripped and i'll salvage all of the 6.5 parts i can since my daily driver is a 6.5.

Here is a picture of it when i first brought it home.. man its come a long way, had vinyl benches and a DS4 6.5 back then.

Overall, i had a blast re-doing this truck. I really would like a 4x4, but I don't like the idea of having three trucks again, its really expensive considering plates/insurance on three vehicles. I love both my crew cabs and my 93 (daily) has a lot of sentimental value to me, so its going to get redone in the next few years. Needs a lot of body work and a new bed.. Its definitely not going anywhere. I've thought about an SAS on this 94, but we'll see.

Last edited: