1990 Z-71 Bed Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKMcBride

Reaction score
My 1990 Z-71 Chevy truck was in an accident and the bed was damaged but the frame is not damaged. My plan is to drive the truck to a salvage yard and replace it on site.
Does anyone know how much time I need to remove and replace the bed?
How much the bed weighs?
How many bolts hold down the bed or any other issues that I need to be aware of when removing the bed; gas tank filler tube, electrical wires, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Where are you from? Depending on that, it will tell if youre gonna have a bad time or not...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
There are 4 bolts per side.

You'll need to remove your hitch in addition to the wiring and fuel stuff.

IDK how much it weighs, but my brother and I can pick up a short bed together, although we are both big guy's. A long bed we need a third set of hands with.

I would count on this taking a full day of working like it's your job, not like it's a hobby.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Ahh, now I see it says you are in Georgia. Most likely luckily for you, the bolts will come right out with little fuss. If you were up farther north like me, I would have said bring a torch!

JKMcBride

Reaction score
There are 4 bolts per side.

You'll need to remove your hitch in addition to the wiring and fuel stuff.

IDK how much it weighs, but my brother and I can pick up a short bed together, although we are both big guy's. A long bed we need a third set of hands with.

I would count on this taking a full day of working like it's your job, not like it's a hobby.

JKMcBride

Reaction score
Thanks for the information!
To speed up the time I think I will remove the old bed at my shop before I leave with my truck to pick up the new bed.
At the salvage yard I plan to temporarily install the new bed with a couple of bolts.
I will be removing the new bed at the body shop anyway to paint the back portion of the cab.
The new bed is only about 50 miles away.