1990 350 engine mod questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBSz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so im thinking about getting a 454 tbi 650cfm? with a tb spacer,
vortec heads
edle brock intake manifold.
would this set up work?
and a chip.
ive read here on the forums that the stage 1 jet chips dont do much
but ive also read that the stage 2 jet chip do alot more! but it says i need to have a 180 degree tstat and i have to run 91 octane.
also i heard to cam a tbi you have to tune it how does that work?
ive never really done mods to a tbi motor so any info and tips would be helpful.

OBSz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here are the jet chip details.

Adds up to 23 horsepower instantly!
Simple, plug-in installation in under 30 minutes
Allows you to tune the full range of your DST
50-state smog legal
Available in Stage 1 and Stage 2
Improved fuel efficiency
Backed by 1-year warranty
Equip your vehicle with a Jet Performance Chip and add up to 23 horsepower instantly. The Jet Performance Chip's simple, plug-in installation allows you to provide full range Dynamic Spectrum Tuning (DST) of your air/fuel ratios, ignition advances, and transmission parameters. Each program is dyno tested to ensure the most horsepower gains possible.

All Jet Performance Chips are 50-state smog legal and are available in Stage 1 (for original stock engines) and Stage 2 (for modified motors with performance air intakes, headers, or performance exhaust systems).

STAGE 1: For stock vehicles, fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using lower octane fuels. Stage 1 Jet Performance Chips are programmed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, resulting in improved mileage gains.

STAGE 2: Designed for the performance enthusiast, Jet Performance Stage 2 chips feature more aggressive programing, making the most horsepower and torque available for your vehicle. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified resulting in peak performance and drivability. Stage 2 units require the use of 91-octane fuel, 180 degree thermostats, and a performance exhaust system. Jet Performance Chips also work well with performance air intake systems, mass air sensors, and TBI spacers.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would also shy away from jet. Companies like jet use chips and resistors to fool the factory ECM. They cause incorrect readings. These are no good. Unless you go heavily modded, beyond heads and can, the 454 tb is not needed. The ultimate tbi mods is all you would need. Then get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I'll get some more specs in a bit. All of this is coming strait from the borses mouth, Brian at tbichips....

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If your going going to build a motor for over 270hp then you need more then the ultimate mods. Have one of these 2 companies bore your stock throttle body out for more air flow. www.rvmorsemachine.com or www.tbiparts.com . I DO NOT recommend the Holley aftermarket TBI unit but have been plagued with bad injectors and base casting issues so I don’t recommend using one. I also don’t recommend a 454 TBI unit as they were designed to idle big block engine and often cause idle and light throttle fuel control issues on SBC so save yourself and me some headaches and get a bored SBC throttle body.
For 4x4 or tow rigs, he recommends edlebrock EDL-3702 cam with the powerband from idle-4000 rpm.

Check out the website and his 350 recommendations.