1989 GMC SIERRA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys
What's happening? New guy just joining up. The reason I'm joining up is I'm about to get back the first truck I ever bought when my wife and I started dating. Bought this little 1989 short bed regular cab 2WD GMC Sierra in 1994 with heck I think 16,000 miles. I was in my early 20s at the time. Fast forward till 1999 I bought another truck and the GMC gas 150,000 miles, rebuilt trans, a lift, 35s. Just stupid stuff. Looking back I should of just left it alone. But young and stupid I decided that I would " modify" it and make it better.
Anyway my wife's son wanted it. Fast forward again to last month. He drove it all this time as a DD. He got a promotion which got him a new truck so he is giving it back to me. The truck now has about 350,000 miles. It's the original motor that has never been taken apart never rebuilt. I'm pretty sure it's tired but it keeps chugging along. I'm basically gonna take off the body lift, the old lift springs and junk I had on there. New bumper and valance etc. Basically bring it back to almost factory stock.
Plans are to get completely new AArms and springs shocks brakes rotors new steering components etc eventually redo the interior new carpet distributor, sensors etc, etc.
I have a laundry list of stuff it needs but I haven't gotten it back yet. It's currently at his mechanic who us battling a runs fine, then stalls, stutters, bogs down then runs fine again condition

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I'm including a pic of the truck

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, the truck looks solid! As far as back to stock, what else would be your plans? Engine rebuild? Tranny? Lowering kit, stock ride height?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
350k on an unopened motor is awesome! Sounds like a fuel pump/filter issue. Do all your work before you remove the body lift, much easier to get to everything.

I would kill to have my first truck back.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, the truck looks solid! As far as back to stock, what else would be your plans? Engine rebuild? Tranny? Lowering kit, stock ride height?

Thanks you.
I'm gonna wait on the engine until it craps out. Last time I saw/drove in the truck it sounded plenty strong. Tranny was rebuilt recently. The rear axle I regeared to 4.56 with a Auburn LS because I was running 35s and the stock 3.08 gears just weren't cutting it. My wife's son rebuilt the rear axle again after another 150,000 miles. Same gearing etc. And being a 2wd I needed all the traction I could get.
I may stick to 31 maybe 32s depending if I have to regeared which I'm thinking I might but I'm not sure yet. I can't run 15x10 with 31/32 tires. I can't go to 235/75/15. I'm still kicking a slight lowering kit. Maybe a 2 inch. I'm not sure what I wanna do. I'm just reading as many posts as I can. I forgot how easy it was to work on those trucks. Just trying to get ideas. I'm just gonna use it to get to and from work. Won't tow or off road it. Pretty much street driven.
My other truck is a 99 4x diesel superduty and I just sold a 99 c3500 chevy work truck and this gmc just sort of fell in my lap again. My wife thinks I'm nuts for wanting the truck back and for "wasting" the money on fixing it. She wants me to go buy a new truck for work but I told her no way. The money isn't even the issue I just think its neat to get the first vehicle we bought together back.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
welcome from winona texas population 576,,nice truck,,enjoy the site,,lots of good information and cool peeps,,:cheers:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Awesome story man cant wait to see progress

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Keep working on the chassis and get the supporting systems back up to *****.

The engine?

Ride 'er till she bucks and then drop in a new gm long block.

:)