1989 climate control base to high end climate control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
feel like all of gm climate control buttons suck for awhile, that’s a good idea for you

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't really understand the hate for the electronic controllers, I've always liked them. Maybe I've just never had one fail lol. On these trucks, the HVAC electronics wiring is fairly self-contained in that you can pull an entire harness from the HVAC box of a donor truck without cutting a single wire, and you'll come out with a fully functional system once you make a few connections to your truck's wiring - namely power, ground, and illumination (manual controls never had A/C so unless you add that you don't need to worry about that connection). Personally I'd go with a 93-94 controller as these came with selectable recirculation buttons and 4-speed blower resistor modules. You'll need that resistor module, all three door actuators, and the relay pack (three or four matching the number of available blower speeds), the wiring harness attached to all of these things, and of course the controller itself.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand the hate for the electronic controllers, I've always liked them. Maybe I've just never had one fail lol. On these trucks, the HVAC electronics wiring is fairly self-contained in that you can pull an entire harness from the HVAC box of a donor truck without cutting a single wire, and you'll come out with a fully functional system once you make a few connections to your truck's wiring - namely power, ground, and illumination (manual controls never had A/C so unless you add that you don't need to worry about that connection). Personally I'd go with a 93-94 controller as these came with selectable recirculation buttons and 4-speed blower resistor modules. You'll need that resistor module, all three door actuators, and the relay pack (three or four matching the number of available blower speeds), the wiring harness attached to all of these things, and of course the controller itself.
It's not hate for electronics,it's just the fact that old manual controls never fail. Same goes with side windows. Good ol cranks last forever.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, going try an clean my manual one and keep it, since it still works

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like that you have to look at the electronic controller while you adjust the settings. The manual knobs in my RX-7 were great and I could adjust them by feel while keeping my eyes on the road. My Mustang's electronic, but I can adjust the knobs by feel.

It's the same reason I hate the stereo in my wife's Chrysler. The controls are mostly touch-screen and half the time they don't register your finger. You end up staring at the screen, trying to hit a simulated button while bouncing down a bumpy road instead of focusing on dodging potholes and phone-addicted drivers. The controls should be eyes-free.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media