88-94 climate control power test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingcron32

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is there a quick way to test if a climate control box works? I have a couple of them, but I don't have a truck to plug them in at the moment. Could I just wire up a 9v battery and connect positive and ground to see if it lights up? Any help is much appreciated. They are all out of 88-91 trucks. Thanks!

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could I just wire up a 9v battery and connect positive and ground to see if it lights up?
You'd have to look up the schematic to see but, even if you could, lights are only lights.
What are the part numbers on your units?
It would be nice to know of some test jig that could test the units. Surely there must be some type of processor or components in the circuit of the climate control units that make the various operations happen.

If yours is anything like my 93 the red wire is battery voltage. Ignition is the brown and ground is black.

Last edited:

kingcron32

Reaction score
You'd have to look up the schematic to see but, even if you could, lights are only lights.
What are the part numbers on your units?
It would be nice to know of some test jig that could test the units. Surely there must be some type of processor or components in the circuit of the climate control units that make the various operations happen.

If yours is anything like my 93 the red wire is battery voltage. Ignition is the brown and ground is black.
Thanks for the response.

Part #s are

I misspoke in my previous post. I'm not sure what years they are from. One of them says 93.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what years they are from. One of them says 93
A lot of interchangeability.
Dorman lists all those and they're compatible with the 93 and others as well. Don't mind the broom link. Not sure why it comes up with that on this site. It's the link to the dorman reman controllers.
Here's what I have as far as the ac controller goes.
Look forward to hearing what you come up with.
I had a recent thread trying to figure out why 2 units from a seller didn't work right in my truck. My original unit works fine but these others were stuck on medium speed with blower shutting off in high. Of course the seller is trying to say it was my truck but unfortunately can't or hasn't proved they work in a truck on his end. I could only prove mine worked and his two didn't in my truck. So a test of all the functions would be useful.

Attachments

• IMG20230816202532.jpg
    IMG20230816202532.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20230816202606.jpg
    IMG20230816202606.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20230816202615.jpg
    IMG20230816202615.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

kingcron32

Reaction score
A lot of interchangeability.
Dorman lists all those and they're compatible with the 93 and others as well. Don't mind the broom link. Not sure why it comes up with that on this site. It's the link to the dorman reman controllers.
Here's what I have as far as the ac controller goes.
Look forward to hearing what you come up with.
I had a recent thread trying to figure out why 2 units from a seller didn't work right in my truck. My original unit works fine but these others were stuck on medium speed with blower shutting off in high. Of course the seller is trying to say it was my truck but unfortunately can't prove they work in a truck on his end. I could only prove mine worked and his two didn't in my truck. So a test of all the functions would be useful.
Ill see if I can come up with something. I'm not the greatest at electronics, but I know some guys that might can help.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill see if I can come up with something
Good luck. Looking closer I just realized my 93 Has the high pressure switch on the compressor and there is no mention of it in the 93 schematic.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a later addition to HVAC system. That's why it doesn't show, yet if order a new compressor it has the receptacle built in. If have it use it, if you don't, don't worry. All our trucks look the same, but every year is little different in some way.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All our trucks look the same, but every year is little different in some way.
Yeah, starting to realize it's not as easy as looking at your year's manuals.

Maybe mine was changed but my ac controller seems to look like a 90's setup where there is no #59 DK GRN for the pressure switch.

And I have connections at the controller that aren't on the 93 that supposedly split off to the cluster and some other places. Connector 209 in the 90's diagram...

The 2 wire high pressure switch is wired in series to the low pressure switch afaik but the blk/wht #159 single wire connector for the hp switch on the 90's controller is tan in my controller and I don't know yet where it's going or what it's doing.

What does the pressure designation do as far as the controller is concerned?

All my colors and wiring are the same as the 93 manual apart from the dk green #59 being absent where it should split off to the controller. And that spot is empty on the controller.

And I have that C209 that's pictured in the 90's diagram with all it's connections to the controller that aren't present in the 93 diagram..

I've attached both versions.

Attachments

• 90 ac controller for 93 yukon.pdf
    934.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230816202606.jpg
    IMG20230816202606.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20230816202615.jpg
    IMG20230816202615.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 9

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One small problem is that the engineers can call for small change during production or even before startup. But the manuals would already have been printed, in boxes ready to ship out. So once in while something's slips.
An example is in the diagnosis for the HVAC fan logic tree, a service bulletin correction was issued to correct the print version.
If we were at the dealer we also check for sb's associated with this. And check the next year model as any changes would be incorporated into the next year, unless it something totally redesigned.