1988 Chevrolet - Up in Smoke!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Man, that sucks, that sure melted the dash just about completely. Do you think there is some stuff worth salvaging out of it? Like the clusters and such? I am not saying I want to buy it, but I was just saying if there was anything worth salvaging out of it to be able to re-sell or if you put a new dash in it.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having just swapped out my all original 23 year old cracked and falling apart dash just this last weekend I can say that there isn't really much in that area of the dash other than wiring, and it is real easy to get a wire harness caught between certain places along the way. Was the dash replaced recently by chance? An HVAC actuator is back in that area but they don't fail catastrophically. The only thing that will create that much heat in a vehicle interior to where plastic melts is shorted wiring. My guess is improperly protected(fused) power wires for the aftermarket stereo but that really sucks no matter what caused it.

Rparsh

Reaction score
My 1990 GMC 1500 has the same speedo cluster as the 1992 except no tachometer. I want to find a 1992 cluster with tachometer to install in my truck. There is one on Ebay now but it is rough and has a hole in the clear plastic face.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1990 GMC 1500 has the same speedo cluster as the 1992 except no tachometer. I want to find a 1992 cluster with tachometer to install in my truck. There is one on Ebay now but it is rough and has a hole in the clear plastic face.
It'd be worth looking into if the lens will swap between the two. Just swap your lens onto the ebay cluster if so

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I would say go for it! Nothing's better than having a tach with you at all times, love the tach versions. I also do kind of like the weird cluster too, not a big fan of the 92+ non-tach needle version, just looks ugly.