1988 454 TBI -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope things are going swell. I'm Derek and am excited to be on this forum. (Despite my user name I do not think there is anything "great" about me haha, just an old name from one of my Diablo characters.

Anyway, I posted much of the same stuff to my introductory thread but feel it fits better here and might also get other responses & feedback.

I've done a lot to the truck after we bought it. Moonies to needles swap, rebuilt the TB, swapped out the FP regulator, new fuel pump. several ecm swaps, JET stage 1 chip (to try and cure high idle thing & get the "Shift" light to work), put on a new A/C Delco Dizzy and the recommended plugs & wires and set the timing to 6*. Also changed out the IAC with a new A/C Delco one and then back to a junkyard one. Truck has the rare early style IAC.. One thing I've noticed is that when started cold it does not jump to 1500 rpm like my fireturd does. I may go to 1,200 or so. Firebird also slowly lowers the RPM as it warms up, truck does not seem to do that.

Here's what's going on with it still:

1)One problem is that the truck will "hold" a high rpm when trying to change gears. I'll take 1st to 15 or so, truck reads say 2100rpm, push clutch in go to 2nd and I'll have to hold the clutch down for 20 seconds before the POS will abruptly go back down enough for me to take my foot off the clutch. Does this on all gear changes, sometimes worse than others and very very very rarely it won't do it at all.

2)Another problem is it surges when accelerating. I'll be holding my foot steady on the go pedal and it will feel like someone is bumping into me slightly. It does this most right around when it is getting ready to go into closed loop. (PO replaced temp sender & I verified that it works like it should). Once in closed loop it doesn't do that so much but it also feels like it's got no power either. When cold it's got gobs but hot it's a bit of a turd. I know people say to run 8 degrees base timing but our truck hated it, I compromised at 6.. Speaking of hated it, it sometimes makes a popping noise when at that open to closed loop point. Used to do it more frequently with the old injectors & FPR but now it's seldom a lot smoother. It's almost like it's going too lean and backfiring out the TB. It did this even when I had the timing at 4 degrees. Also, you'll only get this to happen if youre lugging it and go to get into the gas hard. Speaking of that, it's like there's a dead spot in the throttle too. I keep pressing it further with no change in the rate of acceleration and then that popping happens. I've checked the TPS with my scanner and it's good, reads the voltage it should at full & closed throttle and the voltage changes smoothly.

It's just funny that it has that surge. Also funny that it has a lot of power when cold but when hot it sucks. I'm getting no codes or CEL from it.

What do you guys think?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
C'mon, all you guys are stumped? No one has had problems similar to this???

Opps, looks like I forgot to completely fill out the title for my thread. I meant for it to say, "1988 454 TBI Drivability Issues" or something similar.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose this, partly because it seems lots has been done to it, like an ECM swap, chip, etc. If it was all original, it would be easier, but if there is a possibility that the ECM is not correct, or the chip is causing problems, then we are stumped.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's what I thought so I got multiple JY computers as I thought the original was swapped out. When I pulled what was in the truck it was covered with dust and gick, said "remanufactured by GM" on it so figured it wasn't original but now I think it was probably dead right from the start and so was replaced on the line. After the JY computers I'm still using that one. Only difference is I'm using the JET chip. The idle between the two is the same. Driveability has improved a smidge with the JET chip.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem 1. Do an iac reset. Jumper the aldl like you are checking codes with the key on. Unplug the iac with the key still on. Fire up the engine. It will idle around 450. Take it for a drive and see if the rpm still hangs between gears. Shut off engine and plug back in the iac. Repeat the drive and report back.

Problem 2. Check fuel pressure while driving. I prefer to see 11+.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the surging while accelerating, my truck (1988 k1500 350 TbI 5 speed manual) had the exact same issue. sure makes it a mother trucker to drive. My issue with that was my 02 sensor wire got burned on my header, so that may be something to check

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas!
I'll do that with the IAC. As for the fuel pressure, How am I supposed to check it? Unlike my Ford which has a Schrader valve this has nothing. I bought the inline adaptor but that wont fit unless I do some grinding which I don't really want to do.

I'll check the wire and swap the 02 out for grins, I haven't done anything with that. The scanner showed it fluctuating voltage from 0 to 0.8 which I think it's supposed to do. Not sure how fast it is supposed to do that though

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've been pretty unproductive with the truck as other things have been eating my time but over the weekend I managed to fiddle with the IAC. I did the ALDL thing to close it and rechecked the idle, it was like 200 rpm or something! Bumped that up to about 550-600rpm with the torx adjuster on the side of the TB, now even after trying to adjust it I'm getting 0.68v from the TPS at idle, isn't the acceptable range 0.5-0.6? Anyway, went driving it with the IAC unplugged and idle at 600 and sure enough, the idle drops down like it's supposed to without hanging up inbetween shifts. I hooked the IAC back up and the computer adjusted the idle to 800rpm and the counts were around 95-100, the count goes up to about 115-120 when driving, so that's probably why it ends up with a high idle between shifts because it's slow to bring the counts back down to 95-100. I'm not sure but that's what I've got for an update! LoL. What do you guys think? Seemed to run really good..

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Welp, finally got the new A/C Delco(Part#: AC AFS21) O2 sensor installed and it certainly runs much better! That weird surging when transitioning from open to closed loop on warm-up is pretty much gone and has much more power when warmed up. Funny that the old one didn't set any codes. I haven't disconnected & reconnected the battery to reset the computer & see if it would run better.. Think I should do that?

I'd say the surging is 90% eliminated but when driving around cold and in top gear, if you try to accelerate from say 20mph by putting your foot into the accelerator the dead spot is still there and sometimes it "coughs" like it either backfired up the TB or isn't getting fuel. Once in closed loop it doesn't do any of that. It is most likely to do this just as the temp has started to register on the gauge. Timing was set to 6 degrees and I've played with that, it did it even when set to the factory 4 degrees. What gives?