1966 Chevrolet 300 Sedan "Here we go, again."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
We'll call this one Project: Here we go, again.

As if I didn't have enough projects and parts strewn about...

I've been looking for a 1966 or 67 300 Sedan (Think work truck Chevelle) for a few years now. Looked at a few, wasn't thrilled by condition versus price. Happened to find this 66 a few months back, dickered with the seller off and on, as I wasn't in a hurry to go down to Tulsa, OK just to purchase a car. This 66 was originally priced at $1,650, too high for me, the super jew.

Was watching the seller slowly drop the price on Facebook marketplace, $1,500..... $1,300..... $1,000..... Finally hit him up again, told him i'd be down Wednesday the the 12th of July.

You must be registered for see images attach

I was in town for some power plant outage related work in the area, so figured before I left KC i'd snag my trailer and head down.

Got down there, managed to work a deal at $800 for the car. It had to have been 103-104 degrees trying to get this car loaded. Quite miserable.

Now that the car was a done deal, decided it was time to start collecting a drivetrain, so I could get it through a KS Highway patrol vin inspection, to be titled as an antique.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Not one to waste time on getting yet another Sh!tbox together, started collecting parts.

Friend had an aluminum L33 5.3 for $50, so I picked it up the Friday after buying the 66.

Then as I was out getting groceries with the wife, started scrolling FB marketplace, found a brand new 99-02 red/blue LS stand alone harness for sale, listed for a chevy 350. $40 well spent!

Then on Sunday, the same gentleman I purchased the Tremec T-56 Magnum for the 1990 from, had a good 5.3 shortblock listed. Snagged it for $150, including the LS specific lift plate and engine stand.

Plan is to pull the accessories, 799 heads, rods and flat top pistons from the L33 and put them in the iron block. Should be a decent runner with a cam.

Lastly, picked up an LS 4L60E from a friend for $free.99!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Swapped over the 14" wheels and hub caps for some 15x8 corvette rallys in the rear and 15x7 rallys in the front. I've had this set of wheels for a few years now, may actually paint them argent silver or black. Brand new BFGoodrich tires on them.

So, i've started ordering parts to get the body back in shape. (Or atleast pass a kansas highway patrol inspection) Including a V8 frame side engine mount kit, new radiator support, radiator support mount bushing kit, some various patch panels.

Everything has arrived okay, aside from the 2" cowl induction hood I ordered from Auto Metal Direct. Which came in, absolutely destroyed.

I refused the shipment and it went right back on the freight truck, a small ding here or there is totally expected when shipping sheetmetal, but this was entirely too much and a packaging issue.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Alright, found some trim rings and center caps in my hoard last week, threw them on the car then moved it over to my shop. Definitely need to paint those rally's back to argent silver.

Saw my replacement hood was picked up in Atlanta on Monday via R&L Carriers. The sheetmetal origami masters.

Decided to drive the hour over to Kansas City today, inspect it and pickup in person. Turned out to have a decent hood this time!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Alright, found some trim rings and center caps in my hoard last week, threw them on the car then moved it over to my shop. Definitely need to paint those rally's back to argent silver.

Saw my replacement hood was picked up in Atlanta on Monday via R&L Carriers. The sheetmetal origami masters.

Decided to drive the hour over to Kansas City today, inspect it and pickup in person. Turned out to have a decent hood this time!

What also looks really cool with the "commercial"caps(these were originally used on fleet/emergency cars) and rings is to paint the wheels body color, if not the factory Argent Silver. I have a set of them I bought for the Monte Carlo I had long ago, was gonna run 15x7 on front and 15x8 on the rear.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I bought mine in 1987, they were new in the box. I found a set when I moved, but they were wrapped up in paper grocery sacks. Can't remember if I bought two sets, or if I repacked them, or if this is a second set I got later. I had a bunch of stuff stored in the car, and it got broken into and lots of parts disappeared.
In the late 80s these were just getting "discovered" by Chevy folks, looking for a different center cap for Rallys. The derbies stick out unless you run the 8" wide Corvette wheels, and the dished "disc brakes " style have a cast metal emblem that gets nasty when the chrome on potmetal deteriorates. The genie commercial caps are stainless, so they're a lot easier to keep pretty. Now there's several repros with different markings, but I don't know if they're stainless or chrome.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
What also looks really cool with the "commercial"caps(these were originally used on fleet/emergency cars) and rings is to paint the wheels body color, if not the factory Argent Silver. I have a set of them I bought for the Monte Carlo I had long ago, was gonna run 15x7 on front and 15x8 on the rear.

I'm not sure if I plan to leave them on or not. I really like the Derby and Disc style caps too. Plan is to shuffle them around on the car until I find a look that I like.

I bought these "Police" caps brand new in the GM boxes for $40 a few years ago.