194 in place of 161 bulbs in late cluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I would advise against the 194's for reasons you suspect- too much heat and current draw. Of all the radios and clusters I've pulled apart, the plastic surrounding the illumination bulbs (also very often the CEL light too lol) is usually melted and yellowed. I also suggest using the dimmer, as your bulbs will last much longer (The more voltage you take away, the longer their life) and you won't have those heat issues. I'd wager the 161's will outlast 194's at full brightness. I went through two 194's in my 4x4 shift range indicator before I put a 161 in- haven't had to touch that one since. For whatever reason, the shift range indicator isn't tied into the dimmer switch. If one day I stop being lazy, I might remedy that.

Also, it may not help in urban areas but if you're driving out in the sticks, dim lighting is easier on your eyes and helps you see even further down the road. Red is even better, as it doesn't force the cones in your eyes to "work."

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
For LEDs to dim, I actually bought some non-polarity LED bulbs from Yorkim (really good bulbs, bought them on Amazon, I highly recommend them!!) and they dim like an incandescent, but like what @454cid said, I run them at full brightness as well.

Link for bulbs I mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Yorkim-Polarity-Generation-Interior-Lights/dp/B00MAG6RMM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=14LJ6439DE6B9&keywords=yorkim+t10+led&qid=1553264539&s=automotive&sprefix=yorkim+t10+led,aps,233&sr=1-4
These aren't like the cheap Ebay ones that like to flicker after a couple months.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would advise against the 194's for reasons you suspect- too much heat and current draw.

I may still get some 161s. I do have a slight bright spot between the 80mph and the fuel gauge.

I also suggest using the dimmer, as your bulbs will last much longer (The more voltage you take away, the longer their life) and you won't have those heat issues. I'd wager the 161's will outlast 194's at full brightness.

I'm not worried about bulb longevity unless they start blowing all the time. I've never changed them that I recall... these are the original bulbs from 99 that I'm just replacing now.

Also, it may not help in urban areas but if you're driving out in the sticks, dim lighting is easier on your eyes and helps you see even further down the road. Red is even better, as it doesn't force the cones in your eyes to "work."

I used to be I was always driving in town... hadn't used my brights in years. My new job is out of town, and I drive home on a desolate highway so dimming them may be appropriate now that Idon't have any dead bulbs. I guess I'll test that out tonight.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I noticed that bright spot. I replaced two bulbs within 2 months, maybe they were just defective or it's chitty aftermarket quality again. They were Sylvania's, a name that used to mean something much like many others.

Give that a shot, dim lighting allows your pupils to dilate more and be able to see better. Look ahead of your headlights too, not directly within their reach.

I used to like my instrument lights to be as bright as possible, now I'm the other way with it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Messing with the dimmer last night, I may not have had it all the way up to begin with. I turned it down, and when I turned it back up, it seemed brighter than I remembered.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That check gauges light saved my bacon yesterday. Somehow it caught my eye when it came on, so I checked my gauges.

Don't remember 3 of the 4 but the oil pressure was ZERO!! popped in in neutral and shut the key off as fast as I possibly could and coasted off the highway. Was doing about 110km/h and maybe 2200rpm when the upper engine oil cooler line let go and she pumped it all overboard/straight at the back of the fan in about a heartbeat. One hell of a mess. Beware aftermarket hoses. These ones are only about 3 years old and the rubber just completely pulled out of the steel crimp. Ill be putting the solder on nipples on my steel lines and getting some hoses made by someone that knows what they are doing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That check gauges light saved my bacon yesterday. Somehow it caught my eye when it came on, so I checked my gauges.

Don't remember 3 of the 4 but the oil pressure was ZERO!! popped in in neutral and shut the key off as fast as I possibly could and coasted off the highway. Was doing about 110km/h and maybe 2200rpm when the upper engine oil cooler line let go and she pumped it all overboard/straight at the back of the fan in about a heartbeat. One hell of a mess. Beware aftermarket hoses. These ones are only about 3 years old and the rubber just completely pulled out of the steel crimp. Ill be putting the solder on nipples on my steel lines and getting some hoses made by someone that knows what they are doing.

What brand were the hoses? My "hoses" are 3/8" NPTF Allen head plugs :)

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score

That was a close one! Glad you caught it in time before something far worse could've happened. :waytogo:

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea. best part of it all, this happened 45 minutes into a 6 day drive. On the empty leg before I picked up my moving van trailer and headed over the rockies!! Sure could have been uglier. Mader though. the scab held and I'm at my new job now

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand were the hoses? My "hoses" are 3/8" NPTF Allen head plugs :)
I can't remember for sure. I want to say Dorman. I got them from a bumper to bumper franchise. I didn't clue in until the failure that the tubes are aluminum instead of steal. I suspect the aluminum tubing yeilds when the crimp is done and just can't hold the pressure on the rubber like it should.