194 in place of 161 bulbs in late cluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There are 3 161 bulbs in the later clusters. Apparently the 161 is 2.7 watts and the 194 is 3.8 watts. Looking online, I think the 3 161's are located behind the 4 small gauges. If I swap those to 194s will I have an issue with excessive heat build up, or areas that are too bright? I will be using conventional incandescent bulbs.

I'm not sure why GM would use 194s in some sockets and 161s in others. I've got a few bulbs out, and I'd rather by one kind, and not two... I'm not going to bother changing the little 74s as they're not on all the time, and don't appear to be out.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I found some 194s in my stash of light bulbs, so I'm just going to try them. I also found that my local Walmart has the 161 for a decent retail price... I haven't found them at any of the other non-parts stores I've checked.

A couple of the bulbs are marked Stanley, which seems odd, to me. That's a Japanese company. Maybe left over from my 86.5 Toyota Supra or my 81 Chevy LUV (an Isuzu).... that would mean they've been kicking around since the 90's.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Much better!

It seems these bulbs need some wiggling around to work... is that normal? I didn't have the SES light working when I took pictures, but after messing with it, it comes on.... couldn't actually remove it.

Also I "fixed" the tripometer by removing, testing and reinstalling the same bulb I installed minutes before.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't have the DRL bulb in anymore... it seems to be blown, and it's not a 194 or 161. The bulb is attached to the offwhite socket, unlike the other bulbs. I pulled on the bulb hard enough to brake the wires going to the plastic socket.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of off the subject, but I love the look of these dashes with the factory incandescent bulbs still in use. LEDs just don't look right to me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Kind of off the subject, but I love the look of these dashes with the factory incandescent bulbs still in use. LEDs just don't look right to me.

Yeah it looks pretty good all lit up... cleaning the lens helped too :)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I removed the lense to clean it. I started with it attached, but it was simply too dirty. I then realized that it came off very easily. This is when I noticed that the gas gauge has almost no resistance to movement. This was mentioned in one of the videos I've recently watched on fixing the "Hummingbird" gas gauge, which mine does.... it vibrates, and has for a long time.

I watched two videos, one where a guy filled the motor with RC car oil, and the other where the motor was replaced. "Stepper motors" going bad are a known thing with the GMT-800s but there aren't any available for the GMT400... and that's because our trucks don't use stepper motors, but "air core motors" according to a video I watched. I found what I need on ebay, and the auction uses both terms, probably so people can find them in they don't know the right terms.

Here's the video on replacement that I watched.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He has several good videos, although I saw several things I disagreed with on his front disc brake videos. He's very thorough, and his videos kind of remind me of something I might have watched on PBS as a kid... kind of has a Motorweek vibe going on. Maybe it's his voice?

Here is the air core motor I plan on buying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-95-96-97...343797095?epid=1188138311&hash=item5675d0ab67

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I like my LEDs, but the incandescents do dim much better.

I run mine at full bright, normally... of course half my bulbs have been out too, Though :) I'm not sure how many were actually out. It took a couple tries to get everything working again, and I think I just moved bulbs in some cases. I still want to check out that SES light in the daylight before I put the screws back in.