14ff brake locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it started this monday, when i start the truck(everytime) and go, the first time i touch the pedal the left rear wheel locks up. then after that it only does it when the tire loses traction i.e. tire is in dirt or the truck flexes. works fine as long as it has traction or the truck is level.

anybody got any ideas?

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody? c'mon somebody has had to of had this experience.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had similar on my old chevy corisca. Except it would only lock em up after the first time i hit the brakes after the car sat for a little while. After that it was fine. Ending up doing a rear brake job on it cause the shoes and drums were worn. Problem went away after that. When's the last time you inspected/replaced the rear brakes?

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
not in the last 20,000 miles, i bought the truck from my grandpa, and he did a complete brake job all around before i bought it. but i hadnt even thought that it needed another brake job, stupid me for overlooking the obvious, im not to worried about it now since im getting a rear end out of a nnbs.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back up because I and a few friends of mine have had this problem with the brakes locking like that, the bottom spring where the shoes connect was rusted up so bad it wasnt doing anything/non existant and the brakes werent adjusting proper and they would jam. on 3 trucks i replaced that spring (and the others cause they came in the kit) and they have all been working great.

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i finally got around to taking off the drums and there was so much crud in there it could hardly see anything on both sides. so i took my pressure washure and cleaned everything out till they looked brand new relubed everything and they've been working like new. need to take them back apart to see if my axle seals are leaking or the brake cylinders are to figure out where that crap was coming from.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
check your brake resivoir, or di you have to top up every now and then? if so its your cylenders. there easy and cheap too, but while your in there you proly want to do shoes(depending on condition?) and hardware, if the springs are old (they will lose a little bit of spring with age)

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
also what is the rearend out of a nnbs that you are getting, as there isnt much better that a 14bolt FF. except a newer FF or like a 9" ford rearend.

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I checked all that everything seems to be fine now since i cleaned everything. The shoes still have half left so I didn't replace them.

I got a complete aam 11.5 for 100 bucks. And since I wanted disks and 4.10 gears and a locker it was way cheper to buy that axle than to buy all that stuff separately. Plus I wanted a wider axle so it all worked out.